Troubleshooting Older Model OMC 140hp Inboard

Korynn

Recruit
I have inherited an older model (1954 i think) OMC 140hp inboard. I am having troubles getting it to turn over. Last time i did any work to it i had replaced the starter, (the old one needed rebuilding) I was able to get it to turn over one day, but ever since, it is impossible. I was told that the bilge pump has a timer of 5 minutes before it allows you to start the engine, is this true? If anyone is able to give me some pointers and advice, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks;
A

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Troubleshooting Older Model OMC 140hp Inboard

bilge pump would have nothing to do with the engine starting, and does not have a timer. If it's an "automatic" it will come on extremely breifly for .5-1 second every 2-5 mins.. to test for a "load" or if there is water, if there isnt it shuts off.

you may want to check the DIY Sections here for some quick answers.

Battery, Connections, Ignition Switch, Starter, Engine condition etc..

southkogs

Staff member

Hey Korynn, welcome aboard!

I don't see a 140 listed for '64. Is what you have a Chevy Inline 4cyl? If so, you might have a '74. There was a 150 in '64 that was a v6 (Buick engine). Is the sterndrive attached to the boat? If yes, are you sure it's not seized up? The upper gear case on one of those units is always turnin' no matter what gear you're in. If your upper is seized or really screwed up, it can cause your engine not to run.

Like Kainon said, bilge pump won't stop you from starting the engine (shouldn't have any connection). You may have been told to run your blower for five minutes before you start your engine - that's to get any gas fumes out of the compartment before you fire spark and potentially blow yourself up ... so, it is a good idea to do that ;)

Korynn

Recruit

Thank you Kainon and southkogs. Yes it is an inline chevy 4 cylinder, southkogs. I will have to check the upper gear case. I had recently replaced the impeller, it was worn out from having the leg partially out of water a while ago, I had assumed that was the only problem with it when I started on it, I'm sure I put it back together correctly so hopefully its nothing related to that. Oh, and I did mean bilge blower, not bilge pump. Now, if there is a problem with the upper gear case, should the engine be unable to turn over?

cr2k

Captain

Everything from the crankshaft to the pinion just above the propshaft turns with the engine all the time. If there is a problem anywhere in there it will affect the engine. Bad bearings from little or no oil are usually the problem. Pull the top cap on the drive and have a look at the upper gears and bearings.

southkogs

Staff member

... Now, if there is a problem with the upper gear case, should the engine be unable to turn over?

How about a definite "maybe." ;) What has happened to me recently is that the upper on mine probably took on water and I didn't catch it quick enough. Like cr2k said, I've probably started killing my bearings off and so the engine would start sometimes but would only run rough for a few moments. Sometimes, the solenoid would only click. Took the drive off and the engine cranked right up like normal. Sorta' answered the question about the drive real quick.

You can confirm that the upper is goofed up by taking the drive off, pulling the upper off the lower and trying to turn the ball gear by hand. It should turn reasonably easy for you.

Korynn

Recruit
I know it has been a while since I've been on here... But I want to say thank you for all the help! I have recently worked hard on this boat and the engine runs great. The model year is actually '75. I do have some more questions though. I took it out to test and noticed that the front motor mount is actually pulling off of the fiberglass and wood it is mounted to, upon further investigation the wood under the fiberglass has rotten a bit. The rot does not go very far, it appears to be only within the holes where the lag bolts came out from. Is there any alternative to fix this other than cutting the fiberglass out and replacing the wood? I've read about an epoxy you can use in the holes but I do not know how well it would work, also would the epoxy just drip right through since the wood is only about 1 1/2'' thick?