1972 IMP Navajo resto

AaronR

Seaman
I picked this IMP out of someones front yard this weekend for $250.

It's a '72 Navajo 18' I believe with a mercruiser 165hp.

I figured the Rolco trailer had brand new tires on it and it came with a set of skis, so there is my money plus some there.

There were leaves and an old house door in it so I figured the boat would be pretty trashed.

After I cleaned the junk out of it the floor seems solid, the transom is solid, the motor spins freely and the interior is complete and not in horrible shape.

Here are a few pictures of it

imp.jpg

impboat.jpg

Now for my questions, when I turn the key to try to start it a solenoid above the started just clicks. It almost looks like some kind of neutral safety solenoid?

Any ideas how to trouble shoot this problem?

Also, I can get it turning over by crossing the starter with a screwdriver but it doesnt appear to be sparking. I put new plugs and wired, cap is new too.

Could these two issues be related?

Also, none of the accessories,lights/wiper/gauges appear to have power, but the horn still works.

One of the bellows appears to be completely seperated, how hard are these to change?

It's been sitting for awhile, what all should I replace?

The gelcoat appears to be good but it is oxidized. What is the bust way to restore some shine?

I was thinking wet sand with 2000, then rubbing compound, then polishing compound?

partitanium

Recruit
Re: 1972 IMP Navajo resto

That looks like a nice boat and looks like it's in great shape. I know my boat ended up needing a new solenoid. I just got a 69' IMP navajo a week ago for $400 and it looks like yours is in way better shape so kudos. If you could do me a massive favor, My boat has no carpet or anything or seats but my main issue is figuring out how to build a cover for the engine in the rear. could you take a picture and post it of how the boat looks from the perspective inside the boat facing the rear.