Making a kill switch for 88 25 hp elec start Johnson

Dennis G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What gets shorted to create a kill switch? I just use the pull rope for my elec start. i HAVE TO PUT MOTOR IN LOWEST SPEED, PULL OUT THE CHOKE AND PUSH it back in (usually twice) to get it to stop running.. Where would wires go to create a kill switch for it? Thnks, in advance, for replies.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Making a kill switch for 88 25 hp elec start Johnson

The following advice applies only if your motor has a tiller handle...Unless your motor has been messed with, you should have 2 wires that are inside your tiller handle, follow these wires back under the engine cover and see if they are still attached to anything. If they are, it's as simple as installing a momentary switch onto those two wires to complete the ground circuit when the switch is depressed.

Dennis G

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My outboard does have a tiller handle. So, basically, I would be shorting out those two wires?? Or would I be putting an in-line switch on one of the wires to open it?

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Using a momentary "on" connect one of the wires to one connection and the other to the other connection; when you push the button it should ground out the engine and kill it. Good luck

hidef

Lieutenant

You want to ground out the black and yellow wire running into the power pack. That is wire that gets grounded when you push the stop button.

Dennis G

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks. Got it now.