Aluminum Manifold

FreeBeeTony

Captain
When using an Aluminum Intake Manifold.......... is it required/suggested to be painted? Or can it be left natural?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Aluminum Manifold

Can't hurt, but put a pencil zinc in it, or the inside will be more of a problem

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

tony, you are running in salt so I would definately consider painting it. I saw in one post where the guy actually sent the whole thing out and had it powder coated inside and out for running in salt but he had a raw water cooled engine.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Was just gpoing to add that it's FWC'd.............<br /><br />WHat's a pencil zinc?

LANCLJ

Cadet

You can also clear-coat it to preserve it's finish.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

hmmmm........clear coat.......sounds interesting.<br /><br />Guess it would have to be engine paint...high temp.<br /><br />any suggestions on a brand?

rbezdon

Ive never seen the high temp in clear. I looked last year when I did mine because I wanted to paint the valve cover chrome and clear coat for durability. Chrome paint doesnt hold up to temp by itself either. I painted my aluminum intake even though I boat fresh water.

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am running a Performer Air-Gap with FWC and all I do is keep everything sprayed down with Boeshield.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Pencil zinc...stop in West or Boaters World, or ?. Different sizes, screw into the top of the manifold. Mine is in the front. Temp guage one side, zinc other of stat housing. Salt eats mine pretty qiuck. Cheap, couple bux

Northern Eclipse

I painted my Edlebrock Performer with Dupli-Color High Heat Ceramic Aluminum paint, this paint is tuff and holds up well and is only about $5 a spray can.

Trent

Captain

If you paint.. Prime with Zinc Chromate primer first. Then topcoat.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Tony,<br />You could also have it electroplated or hard anodised to keep the 'Alloy' look and then clear coat it.<br />Peter

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by vatter41:<br /> Ive never seen the high temp in clear. .
I have some..."PLASTI KOTE #229 Clear".<br />Bought at WALMART! :p

rbezdon

KG, that good for the high engine temp?? Course, too late for me. I got tired of the chrome paint fading and went and bought a set of chrome valve covers for $30.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by vatter41:<br /> KG, that good for the high engine temp?? Course, too late for me. I got tired of the chrome paint fading and went and bought a set of chrome valve covers for $30.
Quote off the can: ENGINE ENAMEL, Fast Dry, RESISTS HEAT TO 500*F.<br /><br />Vatter, I bought a chrome replacement timing cover. I shot it with clear for added protection. Then I used it on my carb. The Gumout spray ate up the paint. I had some spray for my grill laying around... but it was flat black. So, I sprayed the carb with the flat and then the clear. Looks like new!

LANCLJ

Cadet

ROBBY 6950:<br /><br /> Does that pencil zinc help you cut down on water passage corrosion in your aluminum manifold ? Sounds like a good idea. I might add one to mine.