Westcoast Spreader solution

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've been all over the place trying to find a lightweight spreader like you find for Walleye on the east coast. It's shaped like a 7 and you slide a sinker with the rubber insert onto the leg. This keeps your bait off the bottom and away from snags.

I got really tired of get goofy looks and responses like,,, Uh we don't have Walleye around here.. I finally got some 220lb stainless leader, a 2x4 and a pop rivet. Make the eye at the back of the 7 by wrapping the stainless tightly around a 3/32 pop rivet that you drove into a 2x4 that's nailed or clamped to your bench. For the tip of the 7, just do the same thing only wrap the tag end over a couple of times and then trim. Take a look at a Halibut spreader to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

These work great for troling bait or flys and you can adjust the depth by just changing the weight. There will always be a time for lead core and down riggers but this little rig widens that gap and let's you play bigger fish on lighter rigs. You east coast folks know what I'm talkin about.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Westcoast Spreader solution

Couldn't you just order bottom bouncers from Cabelas, Gander Mountain or Scheels???

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Westcoast Spreader solution

Yes I could but I can also make a dozen in an hour. Why wait for UPS...LOL..I guess it's that instant gratification thing.. Ha.. When I couldn't find them locally, I just bought the parts and made them. I probably didn't save anything but time. I tried them at Eagle Lake but didn't do any good with them. Maybe later in the season.