Help with carburetor and motor identification? Hangkai Chinese? Your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btate2329

Cadet
Hello all,

I recently purchased a small 2hp outboard motor for use with a Sevylor inflatable. I bought it from a merchant on eBay and when I received it - it starts but throttle will stall the outboard when applied. I found only a single brass screw for adjustment and I also notice the prop doesn't turn even after removing the prop and checking the shear pin. I think someone mentioned that these Chinese motors are made by Hangkai and assembled in California. Any thoughts anyone on brands for replacement parts on the carburetor or what I should check to get the prop moving? Any thoughts on if this is truly water cooled other than to drop the lower unit? I didn't see a stream of water when the motor idles but the exhaust does come out near the prop. This is a horrible 20/25:1 oil mixture and I would love to find a way to bump it to 50:1 so it doesn't stink as much.

Here's the video to my channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/tateconcepts?feature=results_main

Everyone's thoughts? Does anyone know of someone who can service this in Lewisville, Texas or nearby?

M

mrcrabs

Re: Help with carburetor and motor identification? Hangkai Chinese? Your thoughts?

another yamy product knocked off, ...seriously 25:1 well I feel better about my Eska's

Get your money back :facepalm:

btate2329

Cadet
Re: Help with carburetor and motor identification? Hangkai Chinese? Your thoughts?

Here are some recent pictures I took when I completely broke down the unit this weekend. I did replace the L8RTF plug in the unit with a Champion CJ7Y (which is the closest I can find to replace that I know of) and also checked the impeller (yes it has one on the drive shaft) and it was in perfectly fine condition.

I did notice that the manufacturer was dumb enough to mark the lower unit for oil fill and oil but not peepholes or screws. When I removed the prop and seal behind it, I found a milky watery substance and there wasn't much oil... I also noticed that the seal which comes out the top and allows the drive shaft access up through the exhaust and to the clutch was slighly damaged. It may be the cause of the leak but nonetheless - I added new gear oil to the max and screwed on the prop cover since their are no oil check holes.

It appears the water pump is vacuum based, comes up through the lower unit through a peep hole and then into a specialized fitting with a long copper tube that runs parallel with the drive shaft. The copper tube then routes the water into another vacuum tube on the clutch base and then to the side of the head. The other side of the head has again another vacuum tube to the exhaust (which is the copper pipe back down to the clutch plate) and then is expelled into the main casing around the driveshaft in which they mix together and then go out through the exhaust port.

Anyone know if this head will give me issues with the cracks and glue (it came that way and is what it is). If not, what is this specifically (knock-off tells me nada)? What is the carb so I can get a rebuild kit and figure out how to tune it? I have this damn thing and I'm determined to get it working as much as possible since I only have an inflatable here. Thanks all ~

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0503.jpg
    IMG_0503.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 1

nwcove

Admiral

that really looks like an air cooled weed whacker engine thats been factory modded with a cooling jacket pressed onto the cyl. id be looking at the cheap grass trimmers in stores to see if any carbs look similiar. other than that..cut your losses and buy a mid 1960's johnyrude 3hp for $75, put $50 into it...and go boating. good luck.

M

mrcrabs

well I had my office staff work on this all day and it seems you do not have a yamy knock off, this a authentic piece of Chinese crapOla manufactured by Showa, so if I were going to even try to find a part I would learn some Chinese, :D I'm sure the guy who sold yours bought 10-20 of them atleast, I bet half of them came in busted. I see Sears and Dicks sporting goods are selling "Coleman" 5hp 4 cycle outbaords...I took a quick look the other day and they seem really solid and look nice but large. I couldn't get the hood off so I didn't see the actual engine

here is what I could fine quickly,
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/549166857/2_strokes_outboard_motor.html

http://www.showa1.com/en/dictionary/product/boat/index.html

M

mrcrabs

Oh the Briggs guys will love this one,
showroom.do

looks to be a lifan engine

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not that it much matters, but pic #3, to my eye, looks like the work of a rookie machinist - cutting too fast and too deep. And precious little quality control.

Did you manage to get the prop to turn as it should?

btate2329

Cadet

Not that it much matters, but pic #3, to my eye, looks like the work of a rookie machinist - cutting too fast and too deep. And precious little quality control.

Did you manage to get the prop to turn as it should?

Hell no. I can't hardly get the engine to rev without stalling. There is only what appears to be two screws on the side of the carburetor, FYI I replaced the spark plug with a new Champion CJ7Y I think and it starts easier. There is a screw on the top of the carb that seems to adjust idle at throttle release and the other I dunno but it has a spring. Screwing it in all the way stalls the unit and unscrewing it half or all the way will also stall the unit. I can only use the throttle at all when the screw is in all the way - BTW.

It seems there is a centrifugal clutch invloved and while the driveshaft does move, I don't know if the clutch does or has enough meat on the shoes... I do know that the spring holding them is too damn tight for my opinion and this thing gets hot for sure and only after ten minutes of idle. Maybe I should pay to send this POS back to them.

I just disputed it with my bank since the dealer PCCMOTOR.com expects me to mail this back to them at my cost. What a load of **** this is. If I could just get the damn thing to rev up enough and turn the prop. Is there a screw somewhere on top? Mine looks like this guys carb but I don't see a screw on top, just a black plastic hole there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8gbRpZ-vrA

M

mrcrabs

This may be your lifes calling, to help people with this hunglowasasuki, I have seen them around so must be some that run half way right.
or you could mount a Tecumseh power head on :D...I have one I might donate to a good cause if you can't get your money back.
you know you can chat with a nice Chinese person on those list and you might find a parts supplier,

I have had several run ins with cheap 4 cycle Chinese, to sell them in the US there usally jetted really lean and depending on your proximity to Sea level that could be good or bad, I had to jump up 2 sizes in jets on the lifan 2.5 97cc 4 cycle Honda G100 knock off.

Last edited:

btate2329

Cadet

I'm at approximately 500ft above sealevel so it shouldn't be too far off North LA - more like Austin probably but I tried it there last weekend with a friend too. My biggest gripe besides the damn carb is - how can I get this clutch to engage? I can't even move the shoes out by hand which I think is the issue and why the prop won't turn. Where do I get a weaker spring and how weak of one can I use? Personally I don't give a damn if the spring engages on idle because that's something than nothing although not great. I bet I need to buy a replacement carb from this clown too but I don't know how to set jets nor do I really care. I just want to spend time with my one year old and enjoy my time boating, fishing, shooting my Glock 17 and Kel-Tec Sub 2000 with playing occassional guitar.

Maybe we can all think of a way to get a new spring for the clutch? Any ideas on where to find a new head too? Does anyone have any experience with a respectable repair location near Lewisville, Texas? Bass Pro doesn't give a damn and they're all Merc boys anyway... I gave up on them when their parts and service department is only open 9-5 and sent me the wrong part even though it said it was on my 1992 Mercury 3HP which in the end was too heavy and needed too much repair long term. I wish Cabela's still sold the Suzuki DF25 - I would buy it today.

M

mrcrabs

I just want to spend time with my one year old and enjoy my time boating, fishing, shooting my Glock 17 and Kel-Tec Sub 2000 with playing occassional guitar.
I doubt anyone has any more than sympathy and guesses to offer on this subject, I guess you could always shoot the damn thing:facepalm:

nwcove

Admiral

I doubt anyone has any more than sympathy and guesses to offer on this subject, I guess you could always shoot the damn thing:facepalm:

i agree, put it out of its misery, and learn from your mistake.:redface:

jaxboater

Recruit

I unfortunately bought a new 3.5 HP Hangkai outboard for $315 on E-Bay with free shipping before reading the horrible reviews.

My unit had same problem of not going into gear when delivered. After hours of frustration where engine would stall every time I tried to rev it and exhausting every other possibility, I guessed that engine was idling to fast for the centrifugal clutch to engage with the choke OFF. Put the choke ON (despite 87 degree temp and 10 minutes idling). This had effect of cutting rpm's in half, and it promptly went into gear! Ran it for a half-hour and re-started it numerous times this way just to be sure. With choke OFF, the throttle would only advance from 12-to-9 PM position (and engine stall). With choke ON, the throttle turns from 12-to-6 PM position (and doesn't stall)!

Solution seems to be to adjust idle speed downward. Haven't cracked case open yet to play with carburetor idle jet, so greatly appreciated your detailed photos. Looks like I could possibly adjust idle speed down (akin to having choke ON) by playing with throttle linkage adjustment nut at upper right of your IMG_0504.jpg.

Hell no. I can't hardly get the engine to rev without stalling. There is only what appears to be two screws on the side of the carburetor, FYI I replaced the spark plug with a new Champion CJ7Y I think and it starts easier. There is a screw on the top of the carb that seems to adjust idle at throttle release and the other I dunno but it has a spring. Screwing it in all the way stalls the unit and unscrewing it half or all the way will also stall the unit. I can only use the throttle at all when the screw is in all the way - BTW.

It seems there is a centrifugal clutch invloved and while the driveshaft does move, I don't know if the clutch does or has enough meat on the shoes... I do know that the spring holding them is too damn tight for my opinion and this thing gets hot for sure and only after ten minutes of idle. Maybe I should pay to send this POS back to them.

I just disputed it with my bank since the dealer PCCMOTOR.com expects me to mail this back to them at my cost. What a load of **** this is. If I could just get the damn thing to rev up enough and turn the prop. Is there a screw somewhere on top? Mine looks like this guys carb but I don't see a screw on top, just a black plastic hole there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8gbRpZ-vrA

M

mrcrabs

this old chinese proverb, "make high speed jet small to meet big US American EPA regulation requirment"

I bought my grandson a mini bike last year with the 4 stroke lifan 97cc G100 honda knock off engine and it says it right in the manual " engine runs best when choke in half closed position" Ah so, ... the damn thing is broken from factory to meet EPA marine guidlines, however......................> you can re jet the thing to run OK if you can figure who's jets they knocked off...in my case it was a honda G100, in most case 2 sizes larger for the 4 cycle and I hear there are some other improvments that can be done???

You should have invested in a Vintage Tanaka Gamefisher TOB 300 or a Eska 7.5...so sorry for dishonorable performance of honorable Chinese junk.

Wake up America:facepalm:

Yiannis0007

Recruit
Hi I also just purchased a Hangkai 3.5hp motor and here is my problem. Starts and idles fine but once it runs for about 10 minutes it smells like burnt rubber and shuts off. When I assembled it, I bought a big rubber trashcan, first time out it started easily and ran fine, so I put it on the Jon boat and we ran it about 10 minutes then it lost power and shut off. I rowed back with oars, then started it, it ran for 5 minutes and shut off. I thought maybe a cooling issue? I took it apart, everything looks in order. I checked the lines, park plug, all electrical to my view look ok. I started it, it ran fine again on idle only for 10 minutes, then I got that burnt rubbery smell and it shut off. Anyone with any helpful hints please let me know. This is frustrating.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You will probably be told to start a new thread with your question, but my recommendation is to stop working on it right now and get ride of it, if you can't sell it, then throw it away.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Please read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread.

Is this a brand new motor? It sounds like the impeller isn't pumping water.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.