5.0GL coolant temp fluctuates

ctorrez203o

Recruit
Hello,
This is my first post, i do want to say this site is AWESOME! Have used it many times the last year for help with my 98 FourWinns.

This is my second season with this boat. Had it professionally winterized last year due to time constraints. Ran the engine on the hose, coolant temp steady in the middle of the gauge, something i have noticed last year no problem.

My main concern was taking the boat out for the first time, I noticed the coolant temp gauge was reading higher than usual from the year before. By high i am saying it was between 1/2 and 3/4. Also noticed while at cruising speed temp was closer to 3/4. Alarmed i slowed down and watched the temp gauge drop back down to below 1/2 on the gauge. this continued to occur. trailered the boat home. Now, last year what was "normal" operation was the coolant would take time time to rise, and stay steady between 1/4 to 1/2 unless an actual load was added I.E. tuber/ skier. also last year the thermostat was replaced, preventive maintenance.

Back home i pulled the sea pump off, and all hoses i could access to inspect for some sort of restriction or flow issue. What i did find was while inspecting the sea pump half of the fins would not "extend" or make full contact with the larger side of the pump. once the pump was disassembled I noticed the fins were all intact but did not seem flexible. also while pulling the thermostat found seaweeds and what looked like a small black piece stuck in the thermostat sealing area. Inspected the exhaust and all other coolant ports with a bore scope, did note there was buildup in the channels but nothing obstructing flow.

After replacing the thermostat and the sea pump, reassembling the engine, checking flow on the new sea pump, running on the hose and then on the water still notice there is a fluctuation in the gauge. i have noticed temp does climb rather fast, 5 minutes of run time, to 1/2, cruising will raise slightly but when bring down to an idle temp may drop down to 1/4. I say may because not every time.

If anyone has any ideas on why this is occurring i would love to hear them. I do know i should probably inspect the electrical side of the circuit. But being it seems to be a cooling issue i wanted to make sure mechanically everything was ok. the only other part i can think of right now is the circulation pump possibly being worn enough to cause the rise but not enough to completely fail.

Thanks again, and sorry post was so long, just wanted to give a good view of my concerns.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.0GL coolant temp fluctuates

Get an IR temp gun and check the temp next to the gauge temp sender and see if the engine is actually changing temp, or it it's just the gauge/sender.

ctorrez203o

Recruit

right, I will bring one home from work and check tomorrow.

But what is normal with the gauge/system, I would think just like any other cooling system once reaching operating temp should stay steady..

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

aren,t these IR guns sweet toys but unable to solve a real problem ? i see two possibielietes : a bad thermostat or a bad gauge / sensor.

cheers

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

aren,t these IR guns sweet toys but unable to solve a real problem ? i see two possibielietes : a bad thermostat or a bad gauge / sensor.

cheers

A tool does not solve a problem, it assists in fixing or identifying the problem.
If the IR gun doesn't show a fluctuation in temp, then you can eliminate the thermostat as being the problem, because the engine isn't really fluctuating. Just the gauge or sender is.
Same thing with an overheat problem. If your gauge is showing you have an overheat problem and the IR gun says it's fine, then you can bet you have a gauge problem

Sounds like a pretty useful tool to me.

ctorrez203o

Recruit

sorry it took so long to get back to you guys.

Before taking the boat out i decided to inspected the T-stat wiring. while looking at the stud on the sensor and the connector I found a light amount of corrosion. Cleaned both terminal and stud with a wire brush.

After taking the boat out this weekend it seems the actual gauge reading is steady on the dash. Reading right at the half way mark.
As for the actual engine temp, after warm up i pulled a couple reading on the motor.

Water pump-155-160
bottom of T-stat housing-150-155
Top of T-stat housing-90-80
Exhaust risers-100-150
Outlet hose of sea pump-85-90
--All readings in Fahrenheit--

Well as of right now i am going to have to say everything is working as per design and intent. unless you guys have anything else of concern i should be looking at. Maybe it was the corrosion or just getting the motor out for a while to work the "kinks" out. Either way right now i am pretty confidante everything is working.