Engine does not get power when ignition is engaged

sportsguy3223

Recruit
I have been able to fire up my 1989 Evinrude 135 hp VRO twice this year, no problem. However there are a few times where when I turn the ignition, all that happens is the alternator starts spinning, but that's it. No chugging, no semi-revving, just the alternator. Trim on the throttle stopped working as well. Battery is fully charged.

Does this sound like an ignition problem or a starter? If it is wiring, do you know where I might start at? It's weird, either fires up perfectly, or does not seem to be getting any power at all.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Engine does not get power when ignition is engaged

It sounds like it is time to clean all connectors on battery and engine. Remove battery cables on both engine and battery and clean properly, then re-tighten.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Can you provide a model number? OMC did not make a 135 in 1989. Perhaps you mean the starter is just spinning? The starter system is separate from the ignition system. Check the engine fuse holder. They can get corroded over the years and not pass current through the fuse properly. Agree with checking the wiring connector lugs.

sportsguy3223

Recruit

Looks like it may only be 120hp, model number on the paperwork says E120TLCM. You are correct, I believe it is the starter that is spinning. I was told the bendix gear shaft may need a shot of WD-40. Does that sound like something I should try? I'll be scrubbing the connections with baking soda soon, so I'll let you know if that was the issue.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Possible that contacts inside the starter solenoid are burned. If they get burned, pitted with age/use, sometimess they won't transfer current to the starter regularly and at full voltage.

sportsguy3223

Recruit

OK, cleaned the contacts, trim on the engine still did not work. Went to the throttle and cranked it forward and reverse, as I was told it might be the neutral safety switch. Lo and behold, it fired right up! Is this worth trying to fix on my own, or is adjusting the throttle each time a valid troubleshoot? Does anyone have a diagram as to where the neutral safety switch is located? Thanks a lot.

Haffiman

Commander

Inside the control box itself.