What pitch? 3 blade vs. 4?

jbnitro

Recruit
Hello all. I'm new to iboats and thank you all in advance for an assistance you can provide.

I just bought a1989 17 foot nitro fish and ski with a 110 hp johsnon on it. I was told it was slow out of the hole...the first time out I got first hand experience of how bad it is out of the hole. 3 guys, heaviest in front and it wouldn't even get on plane. Frusterating for first time out! I did get it to plane with only two people in boat and when i trimmed up I got to 5,000 RPM. (owners manual says 4,500-5,500 recomended) Currently on the boat is a beat up 17 pitch 3 blade aluminum.

I've done alot of research over the last week as I bought this to fish out of regularly but take my family, 5 people, on it as well. My goal it to get it on plane with more then 2 people.....

My research has told me:

-every 2 degrees down in pitch increases rpm by 300-400
-lower pitch gets more hole shot but reduces top end a little
-4 blade increased hole shot compared to 3 blade with little top end suffering
-4 blade will lower rpm by 50-100 compared to 3 blade of same pitch
-stainless is better

I don't mind giving up top end mainly because that is a mute point if you can't get out of the whole! Here is my thought. Going from 17 pitch to 15 pitch will increase rpm to 5,400 ish with 3 blade. If i go to a 15 pitch 4 blade from what i have (the 17 pitch 3 blade) i will get the increase in rpm to 5,400 ish due to lower pitch but take a little off due to 4 blades vs. 3.....I should have much better hole shot and rpm around the 5,300 ish range. Right? please, feedback is welcome. Thanks a million!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What pitch? 3 blade vs. 4?

You've got the basics down pat. Now, go get a 15 pitch aluminum prop and see how the boat goes.

A beat up prop is not doing anything for the boat--or your opinion of the boat. You should have sufficient power for that hull to get up and run.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: What pitch? 3 blade vs. 4?

Pitch is measured in inches.Before a prop selection We do need your wot rpm and gps speed to tell how your setup works and maybe a clue to your poor performance.
One thing that can slow hole shot is wet foam under the floor.this can add 100s of pounds right near the stern slowing hole shot.
The cure is to replace the foam with new.Carefully drill a couple of holes near the stern big enough you can evaluate your foam.
Drill with a hole saw only deep enough the go through the surface.If you prop the front of the trailer up and check in the bilge at the stern for water collecting it may be a clue the foam is wet.
From your description and your need to take 5 people out I do think a drop on pitch to a 15" and a 4 blade is in order.
You may need to watch your rpm with a light load.
You should trim down for hole shot trim up as you gain speed.