alpha one gen 2 lower unit swap troubles

ralstoner

Cadet
I hav a 96 bayliner wit 5.0 and alpha one gen 2 I had a crack in my lower unit so I bought a used unit on eBay and after I installed it I ran it everything was in check except after I shut it dwn and whiped it all dwn I noticed there was a small amountof gear oil dripping out of those 2 little holes one on each side of the lower. Unit rite below the bolts that hold the upper and lower together. And while the motor is on water is forced out of these but once shut dwn is when the oil starts dripping could this be severe or simple as a bad seal on the drive shaft. I was goin to take apart the cracked unit to kinda investigate b4 I did it to the newer one thanx!!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: alpha one gen 2 lower unit swap troubles

I would drain the oil, drop the lower unit off again and pressure test it... That is the only surefire way to find out where it's leaking....

ralstoner

Cadet

Ok sounds great except I'm not sure exactly how to. I'm a plumber so what how an air test works but am not sure to do it to a lowered unit thanx

ralstoner

Cadet

Ok easy enough one last thing what could I plug off that hole that's rite behind the drive shaft on the lower unit once I remove it so I can build pressure?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I just use the normal quad seal in the hole and piece of flat plate clamped in position....