How much gear oil does a Mercruiser outdrive hold

toolman95

Recruit
Hello,

Fairly new to boating and I am a do it yourself kind of guy. I'm in the process of changing my outdrive oil, went to the local marina got the Mercruiser outdrive gear oil, drained the outdrive, the inside engine compartment reservior and starting back filling it, it took about 1.75 quarts, the guy gave me 3 qtrs..Am I missing something? Used a new quart pump to pump it in from the bottom to it came out the top plug, put that plug in and kept pumping to it was above the float in the engine reservior area and then topped it off to full..

Also, how do I figure out what model of out drive I have? It's a 1998 238 crownline deck boat with 5.7 litre motor.

Thanks,
Chet

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: How much gear oil does a Mercruiser outdrive hold

Do a search for Mercruiser dive oil quantities. Someone asked for it a while back (maybe 6 months) and I listed all the quantities for each different drive... For the life of me I can't find it now... But 2 litres is about right for a Gen II... The Alpha one and previous were 946ml.. that I remember..

Chris......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What outdrive do you have?

Chet labrozzi

Seaman

Hello Guys,

How do I determine what outdrive I have? It took about 1 1/2 qtrs but now it's back to the fill line on the reservior? Dumped the reservior out and drained the system, back filled from the bottom plug till it was running out the top hole, installed that plug and pumped it it was above the float in the reservior then just filled it from the top. After 2 days boating it's back down to the fill line, do I have a possible problem or just refill and watch it? Thanks for all the help, first time changing it on this type of system.
Chet

Bondo

Staff member

Hello Guys,

How do I determine what outdrive I have? It took about 1 1/2 qtrs but now it's back to the fill line on the reservior? Dumped the reservior out and drained the system, back filled from the bottom plug till it was running out the top hole, installed that plug and pumped it it was above the float in the reservior then just filled it from the top. After 2 days boating it's back down to the fill line, do I have a possible problem or just refill and watch it? Thanks for all the help, first time changing it on this type of system.
Chet

Ayuh,... I just answered this on Yer thread....

Why are ya askin' again, on Somebodyelse's old thread