Force 50hp lower unit???

upland13

Recruit
I have a Force 50hp that was at the mechanic earlier this spring and I was told there was water in the lower unit, he repalced the oil and now there is issues! The motor will start and idle in N just fine even high idle in N, but the minute I put the motor in gear the motor dies....what gives???? It's been a good runner up until now and I have no clue what to do. Not a boat mechanic, nor am I willing to take it back to the boat shop where it sits for three weeks and doesn't even get looked at!!! Just wanna get it fixed and I think its doable myself....any help is greatly appericated!:confused:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 50hp lower unit???

If there was water in the oil in the lower unit, it because you have a bad seal. Did they replace any seals or gaskets? It helps if you have the year of manufacture. Different years have different ignition systems, carbs, etc. You are probably right. It's most likely a doable fix yourself. Just need a bit more information.

upland13

Recruit

They just replaced the oil and said to bring it back...which is where I'm at now. They didn't do any seals or gaskets. The motor is a 1985.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yeah I'd be reluctant to take it back to them if they said it had water in the lower unit and all they did was replace the oil. Anyways, on to your problem.

1. Check compression. Ideally, it should be 120LBS or higher.
2. Check the spark. You should have a good blue snap of a spark.
3. When was the last time you did a tune up.... replaced the points and condenser?
4. When was the last time the fuel pump diaphragm was replaced?

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sometimes the cheapest overlooked part is spark plugs. i bought a used carb for my 89 50 hp then a new coil as one was shocking me through the boot. and figured one of those would solve my dieing problem when i would go from drive to N. plugs fixed it. the coil needed replaced no dought but think i didnt need the carb.

ide change them first. $5 and then if it quits at least you didnt spend $100 or more on the wrong thing. just a thought.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Does sound spark related and its time for a tune up like pnwboat already suggested.
A link and sink found in the sticky at the start of the forum page may help as well.
At times when the motor is brought down suddenly to an idle speed it can fowl a plugs, and of course then the motor will die and be hard to start back up.
If this is the case then you may only need to remove the plugs and clean then reinstall.
Don't be afraid to work on your motor though, it really is easy to work on yourself and
when you run into a little snag then you always have the iboats forum to get help.

Have you got a repair manual for your motor yet? You will need it if you are repairing yourself.

upland13

Recruit

Thanks for all the responses fellas. A tune up was done last summer, not sure on the diaphram. I pulled the plugs this morning and get a good blue spark out of the bottom coil but nothing out of the top coil. Also checked the oil in the lower unit and there was not a drop of water. I assume that getting a new coil on the way is in order, but is there any other parts I should order at the same time to save the hassle? Obviously I am going to do the plugs since its cheap and probably necessary. Once a gain thanks a million!!

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

not sure about yhe year of yours but if you use the blue prestolite coils theres some on ebay around 20-30 used. thats where i got mine. worked great. new ones are around $100. if new plugs dont fix the spark issue then look at that coil next..

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Before you order a coil, try swapping them around. If the problem moves to the other cylinder, then order a coil. If the problem stays with the same cylinder, then need to check the wiring and possibly points and condenser (I believe your motor has points and condenser).