Floor paint options

vanhoand

Recruit
Hi,

I have an older North American center console in need of a little work. The floor has some typical stress cracks in the gelcoat but my main issue is some unsightly paint that is chipping off in areas (at least I think its paint and not gelcoat based on how it looks). My question is what are my options and can any recomend any products that are relatively cost effective and would get things back to looking half-way decent. I'm not looking for a $1000 paint job here, just something to spruce things up a little.

Also, what can I use to get the rest of the old stuff off and prep for paint? It has that no-slip "perforating" in the gelcoat right now, which might make it hard to just sand off...

Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Floor paint options

Welcome to iBoats!
Post some pics so we can "SEE" what you see. How does it "LOOK" that makes you think it's paint and not gel coat? The non slip texturing in the gelcoat does make things more challenging. Do you want to keep this look? Is the cracking in the Texturred areas?
Again, Pics really help us to help you.

Best way to post pics is via a Free Photobucket account. Once you get it set up and upload your pics, hover over the pic and a pop up window will appear. The last link in the window will be the IMG Code window. Click it and it will say "Copied" Return to iBoats and hold down the Ctrl Key and click the "V" key and the pic will be pasted into your iBoats Post.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

vanhoand

Recruit

Here's a few picturesBoat1.jpgBoat2.jpgBoat3.jpg

I guess some of the gelcoat is cracked through to the fiberglass but the rest is that grey stuff. Its like the white top layer is peeling/flaking off revealing the grey stuff. But I don't know what the grey is. To answer your question, the cracking isn't really on the non-slip surface.

I don't really care about the non-slip I was just worried about cleaning it up to re-coat it with something else. On a different forum, someone suggested this stuff

http://www.nonslipcoating.com/marine.htm

I'm not overly concerned about the finish quality. I just want something that will last a while and not look horrible.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It appears to me you have more than just a Paint/Gelcoat issue. the substrate has been compromised and appears to be delaminating. IMHO you need to consider replacing the deck material befor applying any coating to it.

vanhoand

Recruit

What does that involve? Stripping away to the fiberglass and re-gelcoat the entire thing (or just the affected areas)? Or tearing up the fiberglass itself and installing a "new" floor? To save yourself the time of explaining that is there a link you could point me to?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

In my opinion the portion of the deck in your pic should definetly be replace. If there are more like that then they should be replaced as well. Not certain you need to replace the entire deck.