Remote for 30 HP Mercury Sea Pro/Tohatsu

albemarleskiff

Recruit
Hi,
Hope this is in the right forum.

Looking to add a remote setup to a 30hp 2-Stroke (international) Sea Pro/Tohatsu. (serial ON12XXX)

Can anyone give advice on a replacement for the "853800A 1" remote attachment kit that is no longer available state side?

My research shows Tohatsu/Nissan part 3A1-83880-1 "should" work. I was hoping to be able to incorporate starting and stopping as well as the deadmans switch from the console.

Any help is much appreciated, TIA!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Remote for 30 HP Mercury Sea Pro/Tohatsu

Welcome to the forums,

Which models is it ? Rope or electric start ? Do you have already the remote control box, or just in search for the engine's fittings to remote cables and drag link accesories ?

Happy Boating

albemarleskiff

Recruit

Thanks for the reply.
Electric start, and tiller, so that makes it an "EH"

I have a remote box, 881170A15 that I was planning on using. Although what I have doesn't have the engine side wiring, only the thick wiring harness from the controls that terminate in a 8-pin plug. Was thinking of tackling this separately.

Do you think the 3A1-83880-1 assembly kit will work in place of the original?

I could also return the 881170A15 and go with the 3B7-84350-1.

Thoughts?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

That should be an an EF model. The Tohatsu EF Remote control box is 3B7-Q84360-1, probably will need to buy the RC Stop cord 3.0 mt long as probably is not included, code 361-83853-0 and Remote Fitting Parts 3A1-83880-1 which includes hardware and fittings. As the remote cables comes by lenght must order them separately. The 3B7-Q84350 is the EP model, non tiller electric model, comes with RC cord and gear & throttle cables, don't know how long though ? Probably is better to buy the one with 60 ending + spare RC and remote cables. Paul is more experienced on remotes, he will definitely confirm the codes, alternatives or place the correct ones.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral

Any control box that uses Morse-style cables will work for the throttle/shift. Electrical harnesses may differ in that model Merc, so you may end up doing some custom wiring. The RC fitting kit should be OK regardless, as its purpose is just to convert you to RC type (EP conversion) at the motor end.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You will need to buy also the Drag Link C Assy, it's the metal arm that pivots sideways the engine and attaches to the steering cable end, does your 30 EP model comes with the choque solenoid & bracket factory installed ? if not, will need to buy them too to start engine from remote box or use manual choque on engine.

Will need :
1-Remote control box
2-RC stop cord (available in 2 sizes if wanting to use the original ones)
3-Throtle & Gear remote cables
4-Remote fitting parts (kit)
5-Drag Link Kit
6-Choque solenoid ?

Happy Boating

albemarleskiff

Recruit

That should be an an EF model.
Right, Electric Start, Fishing

Any control box that uses Morse-style cables will work for the throttle/shift. Electrical harnesses may differ in that model Merc, so you may end up doing some custom wiring. The RC fitting kit should be OK regardless, as its purpose is just to convert you to RC type (EP conversion) at the motor end.

I'd like to avoid wiring is at all possible. Do you think going with a Tohatsu RC box has any benefit over staying the the Quicksilver/Merc RC box I already have?

Almost there on whats needed, a few more questions first.

1-Remote control box
What are the differences between the EF and EP Tohatsu remotes (3B7-84360-0 vs 3B7-84350-1)?

2-RC stop cord (available in 2 sizes if wanting to use the original ones)
I'm all for using OEM parts, but is the $50+ for a few wires, or is there more to it?

3-Throttle & Gear remote cables
Morse style, got it!

4-Remote fitting parts (kit)
3A1-83880-1 got it!

5-Drag Link Kit
Don't see this being available as Tohatsu part number. Mercury is "853824A 1", is this the correct part?

6-Choque solenoid ?
don't have the motor yet, but as I can tell the choke is manual, I think I'll live without this being electric for now.

Thank you both for so much for the help!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Side notes :

1-If not mistaken the EF box comes with just with the stop switch and lanyarn, don't know about if having a start key, will need to buy the rc cable and gear & trottle cables, the EP comes with attached RC cable and both G & T cables, key start and stop switch & lanyarn don't know how long though, but definitely not short.

2-As stated by Paul could use proper wires and probably solder them to have good electrical contact, the difference with originals is that comes with it's own connectors, just plug them against engine's interior SS cables. It's use to disable stop switch on engine side to work on remote box stop switch while secured at wrist or clothing.

3-Find a place starboard, with boater seated 1/2 to 3/4 towards bow check if ballances boat properly, once correct ballancing position is found secure control box, measure the distance from steering wheel and box to engine to order proper lenght cable. Check installation illustration.

5-Don't have Mercury drag link codes, probably disguised re coded Tohatsu's ? Tohatsu DL is :
3A1-83880-1 Will cut my hand if not same..

6-Will need to remove engine cowl and check if the carb has attached solenoid at it's side ? If it does can also work manually.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Steering-Box Engine Install.JPG
    Steering-Box Engine Install.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 0
  • EP RC Box.JPG
    EP RC Box.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 0

albemarleskiff

Recruit

Side notes :
1-If not mistaken the EF box comes with just with the stop switch and lanyarn, don't know about if having a start key, will need to buy the rc cable and gear & trottle cables, the EP comes with attached RC cable and both G & T cables, key start and stop switch & lanyarn don't know how long though, but definitely not short.
If that's the case the EP version is the winner, do you have more pics of the controler, I'd like to see what the end of the RC wires look like?

2-As stated by Paul could use proper wires and probably solder them to have good electrical contact, the difference with originals is that comes with it's own connectors, just plug them against engine's interior SS cables. It's use to disable stop switch on engine side to work on remote box stop switch while secured at wrist or clothing.
This is a moot point if I order the EP RC as it will come with the stop switch built into the wiring.

3-Find a place starboard, with boater seated 1/2 to 3/4 towards bow check if ballances boat properly, once correct ballancing position is found secure control box, measure the distance from steering wheel and box to engine to order proper lenght cable. Check installation illustration.
I wasn't clear in the beginning that this is a re power, we're good with the console placement and steering!

5-Don't have Mercury drag link codes, probably disguised re coded Tohatsu's ? Tohatsu DL is :
3A1-83880-1 Will cut my hand if not same..
No need for self-inflicted wounds... I think you pasted the wrong part # though. I looked it up at tohatsuoutboardparts.com and found "346-84905-1" described as "C Assembly", this is the right one?

6-Will need to remove engine cowl and check if the carb has attached solenoid at it's side ? If it does can also work manually.
It's a 16' skiff, I'll be able to reach it from the console :)

7-New Question:
Do I need to/should I purchase a reverse lock-out?

8-Paul, I saw in a different post you sell manuals, do you stock a shop/service manual for this?

9- Finally have the serial # for this specific motor: 0n1684XX

you guys rock!!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Yes RC stop cord on the EP box comes with attched bullet terminals that matches engine's interior ones, just extend and connect. Check bullet terminals at attached RC pic, sorry, only picture of RC EP model available and already sold out. Before buying ask dealer what's the lenght of the RC morse cables, as you can't add pieces if too short or chop them down if too long, and you already have your console sep up bolted where you wanted.

Installing remotes is a pacient & precise aesthetic installation if don't want to see long cables horrible looped at back transom to fit engine.

Drag link part N? 346-84905-1 C Assembly is correct, a finger ooppps when pasting codes.!!!

Don't know anything about reverse lock-out, what is it for ?

Paul can provide Service manual for Tohatsu 30 HP which is exactly same as the rebadged Mercury 30 version.

Mercury series/codes has nothing to do with Tohatsu ones, it's just for complicating things when trying to match parts betwen both brands.

Happy Boating

albemarleskiff

Recruit

Sea Rider, thanks again for all your help.
I ordered an EP remote directly from Tohatsu today as well as the Steering Assembly. The length of the wiring harness is about 20' per Tohatsu sales and does not come with control cables.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If sold without throttle and gear cables much better, you can order precise lenght cables to fit your console to transom lenght needs and do a neat and clean work of art installation.

Happy Boating