got to get anchor out of boat

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am tired of dealing with anchoring my Islander. Since crawling through the bow hatch has never been an option, I have been tying a float to the line, pulling in over the side and storing the anchor under the rear seat. Does anyone use an anchor roller and windlass or pulpit? I really could use some ideas or pictures. Is a backing plate needed where the roller mounts on the bow? Bow light I guess would have to be moved? How does your set up work...any issues? All of my boating is done on Lake Erie or St. Clair and I have yet to drop anchor in water deeper than about 40', if this helps with the suggestions.
Thanx....Dan

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: got to get anchor out of boat

I'll check on my home computer and put up a pic if I have one. I had a small windlass for a maybe 12lb mushroom anchor mounted just to starboard of the bow. Worked fairly well if it was calm enough. Not anywhere near enough anchor for heavy seas or a 20+ mph wind.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont have an answer for you but I do have a related question.
What seems to be the preferred method of storing the anchor line? Everything I have tried seems to end up with the same results.
A tangled mess. lol

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

I find the neater I try to keep the line the bigger the mess! Think I will be going with a pivoting anchor roller, & windlass or winch. I do a lot of perch fishing and sometimes you have to move around to hit the school and anchoring the way I have been doing it is a big pain in the rear...just getting the dang thing out of the boat is going to be a big plus...always seems to be in the way! Where abouts in the province are you at Craig?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I have seriously considered an anchor buddy. Line is spooled onto the spool and no messy line all over the place.
That or an electric windlass as well.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Guys,
I just posted an update to my rebuild thread (link in my signature) that may give you some ideas. I mounted a bow roller and contained the line in a milk crate drawer.
- Grandad

chriscraft254

Commander

Op, do you have a anchor locker space in the bow? If not you could bulkhead one off, put a drain/thruhull fitting for water off line when line is retreived and install a bow pulpit with roller. I very rarely drop in more than 60 feet of water, so no reason for a windless. If you can afford a good one, a windlass would be nice to have though. Plus you can operate them from the helm. You will need a bow roller set-up regardless though.

I'm sure having a pulpit fabricated for your tinny would be easy. Will want some sort of thickness under the mounting sections though.

Here is my bow pulpit, works great and keeps the anchor tight and secure when underway also, not to mention out of the way.

waterintrusionmaitenance145.jpg

waterintrusionmaitenance149.jpg

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is no anchor locker but plenty of room in the cuddy. Dont know if I will go with a proper locker with drainage may just go with a plastic container as the boat is trailered and always under cover at home. Going to have to keep my eyes peeled for something on ebay as far as the windlass goes

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you could mount anchor chocks on the bow. I got sick of dragging the anchor up thru the hatch. All I do now is pop up thru the hatch or hop over the windshield, undo the velcro stay and toss the anchor over. I did have to install a larger hawse pipe for the chain to make it into the rope locker.

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys,
I just posted an update to my rebuild thread (link in my signature) that may give you some ideas. I mounted a bow roller and contained the line in a milk crate drawer.
- Grandad

Fantastic job on your boat! If I had something along the style of what you have, I would probably do exactly what you did. The cuddy seems to get quite congested with assorted rods and gear, and I can just see myself getting knocked around while bent in half down below and pulling anchor line. I always seem to run into good deals if I take my time and look around so I really hope I will run across a reasonably priced windlass.

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

you could mount anchor chocks on the bow. I got sick of dragging the anchor up thru the hatch. All I do now is pop up thru the hatch or hop over the windshield, undo the velcro stay and toss the anchor over. I did have to install a larger hawse pipe for the chain to make it into the rope locker.

Scott, me days of poppin up thru hatches and hopin over windshields are behind me!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

then your onto a powered windlass.

chriscraft254

Commander

They do make a pulley system. I think someone here or someone on tht has it set-up. It works great but looks like hell imo. If you can find a winlass and hoo yourself up with a bow pulpit, you should be good to go. I will have a windlass one day, jjust out of my reach as far as funds right now. Get a good windlass if you get one, I here alot of horror stories of cheap windlass binding/breaking, etc. Last thing you want is to have the windlass break when you need it most. good luck

I can say, it is very nice to have the anchor on t he pulpit because it is completely out of the way.:)