Yamaha F90 Lound knocking/ticking noise

seahunter8154

Recruit
I was out yesterday in my boat a 2011 seahunt 177 with a yamaha 4 stroke 90, this rig only has about 18 hours on it, I took off all was fine then after about 2 minutes or less, all of a sudden I started hearing the tick, tick, ticking noise or knocking noise, the faster the louder, I stopped the boat pulled up the engine, nothing around the prop, I checked the oil....FINE! Lowered the engine, started it, water pump was pumping fine, never lost any power, no smoking of any kind, RPM's were good, no beeping, no buzzing, no oil light on, no overheating light on. Any idea what this could be?? She's still under warranty. :(
Speaking of Warranty, I live in the Houston, Clear Lake area, anyone have any ideas of where to take it for warranty work?

HELP!! :eek:
thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha F90 Lound knocking/ticking noise

Where did you buy it?
That is where I would take it for warranty work as long as they have a good Yamaha tech or better a Master tech.

New motor making knocking noises that you can hear at speed is not good and needs to be looked at before running it more.
Ticking noise I would think valve adjustment, but knocking I do not like to think about

jhosea1979

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Yamaha F90 Lound knocking/ticking noise

if there is not anything wraped around the fly wheel hitting the cowl ....... then i would take it back to the place i purchased if from knocking, ticking the faster the louder just dont sound good.... best of luck to ya:confused: