I have arrived, reluctantly!!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Just bought a laptop for myself. Unfortunately it uses Windows 7. Now instead of just trying to help my wife with her Win 7 laptop, I get to jump in with both feet.

Here is my question.

I just loaded my DOS based bidna program on to the laptop. I am able to access the progrom.(a real miracle, in and of itself) I have always used a specific Icon to denote the program and to open it with. In XP, when I right click on the icon and choose properties/change Icon, my chosen icon shows up in a file thusly described. (%SystemRoot%\system32\pifmgr.dll)

This file does not exist within Windows 7 and I would like to copy and paste it there. Here is the rub. When I do a 'search' for that file on my XP machine, it gets found but when I try to open it to confirm that I would have access to my chosen icon, XP does not know what to open it with.

If I just copy the \pifmgr.dll file to the same chain in Win 7 (that same chain does exist) would it be likely to show up and display the icons therein (as in XP) when I do the 'change Icons' in Win 7?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: I have arrived, reluctantly!!!

I went ahead and copied the pifmgr.dll file to the Win7 laptop. It does give me access to the various additional icons therein.

Regarding running a DOS program in Win 7. It does so reluctantly. The page size is only about 1/5th of the screen and that apparently is all that is going to happen. Google abounds with questions and complaints on the subject. Another issue is that I cannot use a shortcut on the desktop for the program. I have to actually move the whole .bat file to the desktop where Win7 assigns it an icon and there are no options to change it.

If I make a shortcut, where you are given the option to choose a new icon, the program menu page opens with all it's text lines skewed. Another great service from Microsoft.:rolleyes:

I am glad I do not have to operate this program from the laptop. I just wanted to have it loaded on for portable access to the customer data base. Besides the size of the CMD windows, HP never wrote drivers for Windows 7 to operate the HP 2100 Laser printer that I use for the program.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: I have arrived, reluctantly!!!

I usually run my DOS programs using Dosbox with Windows7
http://www.dosbox.com/

Your mileage may vary depending on the program you want to run, but it is designed to run old games on modern machines.