76 OMC 140 Tilt Trim Clicks

jtrombley

Recruit
I recently purchased a boat cheap from a friend that has sat for two years. The tilt trim worked for him two years ago. When I received the boat, the tilt trim would click. I replaced the solenoids today and still have clicking and no up or down movement. Would this mean it has to be the motor itself? As I have no movement or noise whatsoever coming from the motor. When I removed the plate from the outdrive there was water that came out. Is it possible the water worked its way up the motor and gummed it up? Also, is there any tips out there for removal of the motor itself if that is what I need to do. I'm new to mechanical work as I'm in medical school and trying to do this on my own.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: 76 OMC 140 Tilt Trim Clicks

Welcome aboard (almost-a) doc :)

The tilt package on the old OMCs is a booger. They designed an electric motor that essentially sits at the bottom of a dark, damp bilge ... not so bright. Most likely, you need to pull the tilt motor and have it rebuilt - BUT, getting that beast out can be a real pain. Make sure you have a good charge on your battery before you go ahead and pull it. Also, try supporting your stern drive (or removing it completely), taking off the tilt quadrant (big half-moon lookin' gear) and then see if the drive gear turns at all without a load.

I'm not sure which plate you removed (I'm thinking on the clutch pack at the port side of the stern drive), but those do tend to get water filled - empty, and refill with gear lube. Water doesn't' have a good path to get up to the motor from there. There's worm gear that typically survives pretty well in these old systems, and a hammer coupler that seems to have a 50/50 chance boat to boat.

If it comes to taking the motor off (very common need), you don't need to pull the stern drive or relieve the load on the tilt quadrant. It'll all stay put. There will be two screws/bolts on the motor. They pretty much go all the way through the motor and into the housing. Unplug the motor wires, remove the screws and get ready to catch the motor. Watch that it doesn't come completely apart on you, because those screws hold the housing together. Also, watch that the hammer coupler doesn't jump down the bilge where you can't get it - it sits right between the motor and the worm gear.

If you don't have a good manual - getcha' one. It'll walk you through step by step on this stuff.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats! There's a few of us stringer suck....uh....owners here what will be happy to help you out. :D Good advice from SK above. Check out my thread here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=501126 there's a pic of the tilt motor so you can see what SK was describing. At the bottom there's a link to download a manual. Good luck and come back with any more questions.

jtrombley

Recruit

Thank you very much for the reply! I talked with a local marine mechanic and he said all signs point to motor. I couldn't afford the $200 asking price at another local marine shop so I have a two day wait for a brand new motor for $59. You have to love the internet! Good for the consumer, bad for businesses with high mark ups. So I will give this a go when it gets here Wednesday.

jtrombley

Recruit

Thank you as well Redneck! I downloaded that manual and will begin trying to get the motor out as soon as I get back to the lake. Looks like a fun job....