Variation in service manuals for 1984 EV 70HP

JohnWI

Seaman
So I'm surfing the net for a service manual and I'm seeing 2 variations and a smattering of different years.

I'm wondering (since I'm not really planning on upgrading the motor) if I should pop for a Factory 70HP manual or the one that is for all engines 2 through V6?

Next as mine is from 84, does anyone know the yearly variations? ie if it was from 1970, would it be the same as 1984 or 1994, etc.? Or might there be a year range that mine would fit into?

And any difference between EV, Johnson or OMC and 60/65/70/75 for the service portion of the manual/procedures? Obviously some parts are different, but the concept seems similar to me (but I'm way outside of my knowledge base).

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Variation in service manuals for 1984 EV 70HP

I would "pop" for the manual that is specific to your engine since the ones that cover many hps will not have enough detail for specific repairs. Also, get the parts manual to go with the service manual.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Stay away from Seloc or Clymer. You'll just get confused. OEM is the best.

JohnWI

Seaman

Factory is my plan...just seems that there are manuals for slightly different years available NOW in the 70HP or else the correct year but the all-engine book.

It can't be THAT different to pull off a carb or adjust this or that between the years, can it? That's why I was asking is this model year the same (basically) for a series of years?

Sort of like the car books (Non Factory) that would say Honda Accord, 1985-89.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Selocs and Clymers are the equivalent to the Haynes and Chiltons, not worth the money and full of misinformation.

JohnWI

Seaman

I know...I'm looking for factory books, but the books for the 70/75HP models are either a year or two off from my 1984 which is why I'm hoping that someone knows if my model is basically the same for a span of years? I can always reference the parts list online.

Mine is E70TLCRD...so perhaps if the "TLCR" is the same...the "D" or whatever might only be a change of year??

Looks like the 83 is TLCTE or the 85 is TLCOS. But the 1980 is ELCSA which seems far off, model wise.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get the right manual for your motor,by model # .Believe me, there is one and you will get it at kencook.com or marineengine .com,also some times you can pick them up on ebay.If they are a year or two off from your motor they are not the right ones and while most things will be similar there will always be something that's not so don't be cheap,it can cause you a load of grief.
Geoffwga1