cant get secondary to open up

cmetcalf1022

Recruit
As I ran it this weekend I could get the boat to 20mph. The throttle would not go down any farther and the secondary wouldn't. Open up 1986to force 125. I don't know if its in the throttle or in the motor.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: cant get secondary to open up

First do a compression then a spark test.
Does it rev up and no go??
Or just stay slow? More details???
Then start looking at the carbs.Clean.
While they are off look at the reeds.
Then the fuel pump,rebuild.
Then get rid of all the old hoses.
New squeezie and get rid of all inline connectors,they leak and can suck air.
Check the vent line,mud daubers get in and clog off the air.
But first a compression test.

cmetcalf1022

Recruit

It just stays right there no rev.up the motor sound great. I just changed the fuel hoses. The Carbs were just rebuild ill go down your list and keep trying ill let you know what I find thank you.

SwampThing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually your post is a little confusing when you say "the throttle wouldn't go down any farther".
Do you mean the throttle lever wouldn't physically move past a certain point? Or that you were able to move it to it's normal WOT position and only obtain 20mph?

I ask because I've had the little screws in the throttle control lever / box back out and block the throttle from moving past a certain point.

Have you taken the hood off while the engine is off and checked for proper throttle operation and shift tower function? A misadjusted throttle cable can be a royal pain to get set back up properly at times. Misadjusted and it will cause the shift tower to not function properly. A loose or slipping cable ( in the clamp) at either end will have the same effect.