After backflushing merc 4.3 water found in spark plugs!

FLANDY

Cadet
After backflushing my '06 Merc 4.3L V6 262 CID Alpha1/Gen2 for impeller debris, I am having problem starting the engine, and discovered water in 2 spark plugs, specifically the middle ones (#3 & 4) on both sides. The engine is a raw water, open cooling system. If I'm not mistaken, the manifolds are dry-joint style, please correct me if I'm wrong.. I'll explain the backflushing procedure, and then the no-crank, water in the plugs situation.

For backflushing, a helper and I, began by disconnecting all the hoses, opened the 5 draining plugs, and proceded to backflush the system via the cooling hoses, exhaust manifold, exhaust elbow and power steering cooler. We also cleaned and rinsed the thermostat housing and installed a new t-stat kit. The exhaust collectors system was also opened and blackflushed, and the water shutters inspected for condition and proper operation. I had a helper there with me and he told me he inadvertely put the water hose inside the hole that houses the thermostat in the engine block, (located on top of the engine, where water comes out of the block from the water pump and into the t-stat housing), and I feel this could be the reason for the engine's not starting condition.

Another situation that developed while backflushing, (and could possibly be also the culprit), was that while all the water was draining down from the hoses and open exhaust elbows, my bilge drain hole got clogged (maybe for 4-5 minutes), without either one of us realizing it, and water accumulated quite fast in the bilge, perhaps as high as 8-10 inches, however, I'm not sure if it got as high as the oil pan. I had previously disconnected the battery and the bilge pump didn't have a chance to do its job.

So now I have a situation of water in the spark plugs and a engine that doesn't want to crank. I removed all the spark plugs and cleaned and dried as best as I could the plugs' holes, and squirted engine oil into the plugs' holes without starting it, since I'm not sure as how to proceed. I checked the engine oil (through the dipstick), and didn't see a trace of water. I don't think I have a cracked manifold or engine block to water get into the engine, the problem developed only after what I consider a terrible backflushing job.

Could water poured into the engine's thermostat hole get to the pistons, perhaps via the carburator? Could too much water in the bilge cause to have water into the spark plugs? What do you suggest should be my next steps?

LX Kid

Ensign
Re: After backflushing merc 4.3 water found in spark plugs!

No easy answer on this one. Try doing a compression check on all the cylinders, will all plugs removed to clean water out of all cylinders. After doing a wet and dry compression test, write them down, they should all be close to each other. If they are good them remove risers and see if the gaskets are good and passages clear. (Install new gaskets always.) If all good maybe a bad intake manifold gasket. I know I'm fishing for clues here but just some food for thought.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

did it run before the mishap.it may not crank as there may be more water to be removed.remove all plugs and negative lead 4 now.select forward gear and rotate prop by hand to make sure engine turns over.if ok leave plugs out and see if you can crank motor over after reconnecting negative .starter may need drying out first as may have blown the main fuse.report back to see where we stand.

Bondo

Staff member

The exhaust collectors system was also opened and blackflushed, and the water shutters inspected for condition and proper operation.

Ayuh,.... Maybe I'm readin' that wrong,...

But,... Ya can't backflush the Risers, without pourin' water down into the middle cylinders.....

FLANDY

Cadet

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, the engine was running fine before doing the backflushing. I'll follow your instructions and report results ASAP. LX kid, I"ll look into doing the compression test, but will need to gather the tool(s) needed first, I dont own these. Perhaps can they be loaned from an auto parts shop?

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes dingdongs, the engine was running fine before doing the backflushing. I'll follow your instructions and report results ASAP. LX kid, I"ll look into doing the compression test, but will need to gather the tool(s) needed first, I dont own these. Perhaps can they be loaned from an auto parts shop?

You know... I read that post and said wow :eek: this guy is coming on here looking for help and now calling us dingdongs. :eek: :eek: HA HA!! then read thru and noticed where it came from...:D

FLANDY

Cadet

Bond-o, to clarify, this is the way the manifolds and risers were backflushed:

A). The manifolds were backflushed via the thermostat housing to manifold hose.
B). The elbows were backflushed via the thermostat housing to elbow hose.

Your quoted statement actually refers to the water shutters, and that hose was backflushed by removing the clamps below the exhaust pipe elbow, and down to the water shutters located inside the "Y" exhaust pipe, hopes this clarify my words.

Now, was this procedure done wrong? Could this be the reason of water in the engine and the sparks plugs? :confused:

FLANDY

Cadet

hahaha you're so right Eric!!!! OPPPS, post edited!!!! :D

LX Kid

Ensign

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, the engine was running fine before doing the backflushing. I'll follow your instructions and report results ASAP. LX kid, I"ll look into doing the compression test, but will need to gather the tool(s) needed first, I dont own these. Perhaps can they be loaned from an auto parts shop?

Cheap compression tester is under $10 at auto parts stores.

FLANDY

Cadet

Awesome, will pickup one today and will post results. What exactly should I be looking at on the compression readings?
I really appreciate the troubleshooting assistance.

LX Kid

Ensign

Awesome, will pickup one today and will post results. What exactly should I be looking at on the compression readings?
I really appreciate the troubleshooting assistance.

I do have to admit I don't know anything about backflushing or those procedures but this may help if you have exhaused all other avenues in troubleshooting your water leak.

After removeing plugs, do a couple short motor spins using starter to force any water out. Put gage in plug hole and have someone crank engine a few revolutions. Do that on all six cylinders. If memory server me correct all reading should be within about 10 pounds of each other. That may reveal your first clue wheather you have a problem in one or more cylinders. (Like bad head gasket, cracked head or some other problem that would case a leak into one or more cylinders.) May as well do the "wet" test by squirting about 1/2 teaspoon of oil in each cylinder and test to see if the compression rises significantly and they should also all be within about 10 pounds of each other. The wet test will reveal the condition of your piston rings. Hope this helps and you find that everything is ok. Other problems would be an easier and cheaper problem to repair. (That is, once found.)