hydro electric shift 55 hp ive run out of what to do nexts lil help please

Bigmykesboat

Cadet
hey guys thanks for all your help to get to this point ive learned alot just by reading what every else has posted first let me start from the begining i bought a boat an i checked it it started in netural went into forward when given forward power an went into reverse no proublem hears where it all went wrong i took it apart to put a new impeller in when i took the foot off i dident know there were two wires i had to disconect so half way out i freaked an took the hydro electric shifter cap off to get the foot off. We meaning ya all helped me rebuild the water pump an that went great but when i put it back togather i also changed the lower unit grease with citgo marine plus type c for sae 90 an 80w-90 or 85w 90 when i started the motor it started in forward an i couldent get it out of forward no netural no reverse so i took it back out an checked the plunger on my bench with it out i grounded the foot an touched the blue wire an the plunger went up or down not sur touched the green wire the plunger went the other way so i put it back in an tested it on the bench an i heard it making its sound with both wires so i thought good to go put it back in conected wires blue an green started it up still in forward so i switched the two wires green to blue an vise versa still no change so i took a jumper wire to each wire then to both every combination no change i went bacjk an read posts an saw where it said what wires should have how much voltage from the shifter so i tested that green an blue from the shifter an they are dioing what they are suposed to do right voltage right time so im good from the shifter an my solinoid is making its sound everytime i hit it with juice now im second guessing the oil? i dont know what to do next is there a way i can bench test it ?dose this sound like anything anyone has run into thank you for all your time an help MYKE!!!!!!

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: hydro electric shift 55 hp ive run out of what to do nexts lil help please

I haven't followed your other posts, what motor is this? Did you take out type c lube and put regular 80-90w back in? If so that's a major reason for no shift. The 80-90w is too thick for the shift pump.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You state you used "citgo marine plus type c for sae 90 an 80w-90 or 85w 90".

80w90 or 85w90 is the equivalent of HiVis that is used in the standard mechanical shift gearcases and will not function in that Hydro Electric Shift gearcase. The oil pump simply can't handle it! It must state on the container that it is for the outboard electric shift model and will be listed as either "Preminum Blend" or "Type C".

Hopefully you did not loosen the very small nut(s) that keep the plungers located at their proper depth within the solenoids. If changed, the plunger(s) must be no lower than 1/64" from the top of the plungers, measured when the solenoid in in the lower unit. Not above the solenoid or any lower than 1/64".

Are you sure that the bottom of the solenoid plunger rod is where it belongs... in the hole detent of the oil pump levers?

The unit can be bench tested by having the driveshaft turned with a large electric drill. The explanation of the unit follows so that you can trouble shoot it properly.

(Hydro Electric Shift System Explained)
(J. Reeves)

The shifting setup of the lower unit is what's called a "Hydro Electric Shift", which is quite complex consisting of voltage being applied to solenoids in the lower unit which in turn change oil passages via a oil pump that supplies various pressure on a spring loaded shifter dog.

The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.

You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Premium Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube)

Note: The engine must be running OR have the driveshaft turning by some other means in order for the engine to shift.

In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire.
In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one.
In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear)

To check the lower unit for proper shifting to make sure you have no trouble there, remove the spark plugs to avoid problems and to allow a higher cranking speed.

This next step eliminates the actual shift switch in case problems may exist there.... Disconnect the blue & green wires at the knife connectors (the rubber insulated boots) leading to the lower unit at the powerhead, then using jumpers, take voltage direct from the starter solenoid to apply voltage to the "Green" wire for neutral, then both wires 'Green" & "Blue" for reverse (Remember the engine must be cranking over in order to shift).

With no voltage applied, the unit should be in forward. No need for a ground jumper... the lower unit's already grounded. You may crank the engine with the key switch or by energizing the starter solenoid with a jumper wire.

Bigmykesboat

Cadet

I haven't followed your other posts, what motor is this? Did you take out type c lube and put regular 80-90w back in? If so that's a major reason for no shift. The 80-90w is too thick for the shift pump.

thank you sooo much for your help im going to change that oil first!

Bigmykesboat

Cadet

thank you sooooooo much for all your help i ve been reading other posts an see other proublems with that cigo type c i will get omc type 3 first then i will check an see if the rod is in the correct place i havent touched the little nut only removed the cap then set it back in an i tried the starter solinoid jump wire an no change i will change oil an keep you posted you are so kind to help thank you

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

i ve been reading other posts an see other proublems with that cigo type c i will get omc type 3 first then i will check an see if the rod is in the correct place

GEARLUBE..... That would be "OMC Type C"......

NOT OMC Type 3 or OMC Type III which pertains to the oil that is mixed with gasoline.

Bigmykesboat

Cadet

i got the omc type c an it was alot thinner than the citgo type c so im sure that helped although it did not solve my proublem when i took the cap off the electro shift the first thing i noticed it was missing the wave washer that sits on top so im thinking one more round of parts at iboats joe you mentioned not to touch the tiny nuts holding the solinoid in place there arent any this model has a rod that runs through the solinoid there is a stopper at the bottom of the solinoid if that a nut wow it sure is tiny but they free flow up an down along with that white plastic disc that is between them hopefully its that wave washer ,that white disc is not attached to the solinod should it be attached to either solinoid? an do you think its the missing wave washer giving me the fits THANKS SO MUCH JOE FOR ALL YOUR HELP AN THE PEOPLE AT I BOATS GETTING ME THESE PARTS!

Bigmykesboat

Cadet

March 27th, 2011, 05:49 PM#3

F_R

Supreme Mariner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I FOUND THIS POST TO ANSWER ALL MY QUESTIONS thank you everyone for all your time an help!
Re: Hydro Electric no shift. HELP me trouble shoot. LONG explanation but hoping for

Without the wave washer, the solenoids would simply rise up in the cavity instead of pushing the rod down to hold the flow control valves shut. If the valves are not held down, it will be in forward