Water in toons

tone100

Cadet
As I was backing my boat into storage my wife said she could hear water sloshing in my right side toon. I don't see any obvious leaks so hopefully it's small. It's a 2010 manitou aurora. The only dealer close by went out of business so I can't go the warranty route. I live in rockwall tx on the east side of Dallas. Does anyone know of a welder that can work on pontoons? Hopefully this doesn't cost me a fortune to fix.

bigdee

Commander
Re: Water in toons

You might want to hold off to see if it gets worse. A little water sloshing in the toons is not unusual. I noticed water sloshing in mine about 6 or 7 years ago when I pulled it out of the water for maintenance. I could not find any leaks. It stays in the water 6 months of the year and has not gotten any worse....if it was a leak it would have sunk by now.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

There is a vent on top of most pontoons. you may have condensation, or if there is other water see if you can suck it out with a vacume pump from the vent in the top ot the pontoon.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

SImce you don't have a dealer slose call Manitou directly and see what they can do for you, they may cover the repair anyhow.

tone100

Cadet

I talked to Manitou this morning and since I'm the second owner they won't cover anything. The boat isn't even 2 years old. There are tons of welding shops in the area but I'd like to find one that somebody has used and knows what they're doing. I'll look again but I didn't see any plugs on the top of the log. I did find out its 2 chambers. The rear one is where the sound is coming from. Doesn't sound like a ton of water but more than condensation.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Check with other boat dealers in the area for welder recommendations, or just call around until you find one who specializes in boat repairs, and take heart tone. You'll be surprised how little it costs to have the leak(s) found and repaired. Welcome aboard.:cool:

tone100

Cadet

I called a few places and they are talking $400-500. Seems step. I think I'll look for the plugs on top tonight and pump out and water in them. We'll see how much is in it next time I use it. So far I'm no impressed with this brand of boat. It only has 14 hours on it.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I called a few places and they are talking $400-500. Seems step. I think I'll look for the plugs on top tonight and pump out and water in them. We'll see how much is in it next time I use it. So far I'm no impressed with this brand of boat. It only has 14 hours on it.

:eek: WOW! I had both of my toons pressure tested and numerous leaks fixed for less than 200 bucks. I agree that $400 to $500 seems mighty steep.

rogerwa

Commander

Last season, my boat started a list and I had a local welder install plugs and pressure check the toons. He found a crack in one of the rear mounting brackets on top of the pontoon. Seems to me you could have your toons pressure checked pretty easily to determine if you have any leaks.

The whole deal for me, which included installing plugs, pressure check, welding/fix the broken mouunt, and reparing a few pin holes, cost about $350.

Just getting a pressure check should be much cheaper than that. That seems to be the first step..

tone100

Cadet

I've called 5 welding and boat shops now. ts amazing in a city this big that nobody seems to know what to do to fix it. One only charges $60 an hour but didnt seem interested in the work and said he had no way of finding a leak.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Sounds like you just haven't found the right shop yet. There are welders, then there are welders who work on boats. They are two entirely different animals believe it or not. Have you tried calling boat dealers and marinas to ask for a recommendation? Also, if you're perusing the yellow pages look for ones that advertise prop repair. They usually work on boats. Where are you by the way?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Too bad you are so far away, I would do it for a case of Dos Equis.

I am really suprised Manitou blew you off, you would think the waranty on the tubes was longer than 2 years, that is kinda goofy.

I would be tempted to maybe go up the chain a little more like the head of customer service.

$500-$600 seems completely insane and I have welded for 25 years, hoiw do they stay in buisness???

tone100

Cadet

Manitou would have warrantied it but I am the 2nd owner and their warranty only applies to the first. Besides their only dealer in Texas went out of business.

I'm on the east side of Dallas so anybody knows of a good welder let me know.

Tempelton

Cadet

I would call Manitou back and ask to speak to someone higher up and Explain your situation and then when they give you the same line start talking about why is it they have a problem standing behind their product it shouldn't matter that you are the second owner and if the would like to not have a bad rep through word of mouth then they might want to take a second and really decide is the negative customer satisfaction is really worth it. I bet they change their mind and help take care of the problem. Also be sure to mention that in this age of social networking negative feedback can be very far reaching.

tone100

Cadet

I'll give them a call tomorrow. I did find the cap at the top of the tube. It was in good so don't think that's my issue. I was able to siphon about 5 gallons of water out. I don't see any cracks do I'm going to try to put a little air in it of manitou won't help.

Same thing happened to me on many older pontoons I have had. I had great luck with JB weld. I also had some fixed by a local welder boat expert. THIS guy is great!! Cost me a few hundred on a new boat I had for a few months and hit an Island at night. He told me you can preasure check it yourself to see hear air come out. IMPORTANT only use a few ponds of air. So i used tape to seal end of air hose and pumped air into pontoon. This gave a sound near hole. Be careful to only use a little bit. Pontoons were not designed to be filled like your compressor tank! All my pontoon boats had ponttos with sealed compartments. On my boats you could see the weld beads from the outside every 4 to 7 feet. Your boat is a better brand so im not sure if you can see how many different compartments there are on your toons. REMEMBER just a few pounds of air preasure. Once you locate the problem and have water out it will be a cheap or rather cheaper ez fix.

tone100

Cadet

After some more phone calls today I found a guy that does the welding for a boat store close to me. He said it would take about and hour and be around $100 as long as its nothing huge. He's going to do it Thursday. That's more like it.

I have a message in to Manitou but we'll see if I hear anything back. I do know now after this I wont touch one of their boats. Their company and dealer network leaves something to be desired. At least in this part of the country.

Thanks for all of the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

:eek: WOW! I had both of my toons pressure tested and numerous leaks fixed for less than 200 bucks. I agree that $400 to $500 seems mighty steep.

It's the week before Memorial Day. I'll be he hears a different price on June 10th.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I have a message in to Manitou but we'll see if I hear anything back. I do know now after this I wont touch one of their boats. Their company and dealer network leaves something to be desired. At least in this part of the country.

I wouldn't be so quick to slam Manitou. You're PO'd because they didn't do you a favor. They're under no obligation to help the second owner of product unles the second owner paid to have the warranty transferred. I've transferred existing warranties for a few people. Only cost a couple of hundred bucks. Were you offered that option?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

After some more phone calls today I found a guy that does the welding for a boat store close to me. He said it would take about and hour and be around $100 as long as its nothing huge. He's going to do it Thursday. That's more like it.

Now you're talkin'. That's more like it. You'll be good as new when you get her back.