Bayliner Trophy planning problem

Bill Faith

Recruit
I have a 2000 Bayliner Trophy 22 foot with a 4.3 6 cylinder Mercruiser. Took the boat out on the river and tried to get up on plane and could not. There was 4 adults and two children aboard. I tried several times at full throttle, engine rpms was at 4500 and could not get up on plane. Please help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bayliner Trophy planning problem

Did you try trimming the drive up or down? Did you have everybody in the back of the boat?
You say you had 4500 rpm, how fast was the boat going? Was it bow high, or bow low?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... How Weedy is that stretch of water,..??

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Weight distribution is very important in a boat like that. If you have trim tabs, push down, if not, move your crew forward. Often just one or two people moving forward is more than enough.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Spun prop hub, perhaps? We need more details, or else we're just throwing guesses out there.

Bill Faith

Recruit

Thanks for all the quick support. The bow was very high at full throttle. I tried the trim up and down. No results. Tried moving everyone up to the center of the boat. Still no change. Water was very deep and clean. New prop and hub. 4500 RPM,s but only going 10 mph. We tried with two adults and it seems to work better. But still takes along time to get on plane.

Philster

Captain

I would like to see a picture of the drive trimmed all the way in/down.

I would like to know the specs on the new prop (size, pitch, blade count and material) and the specs of the old one.

Also, how long has this been your boat?

cr2k

Captain

Coupler? 10 MPH tells me either the prop is blowing out (cavitating) could be too much pitch for the load or maybe your coupler is bad.

Bill Faith

Recruit

I don't have a pic yet. But the new prop is the same as the old prop. 14.5x19 pitch. 3 blade, aluminum. Someone was saying that I may have had too much weight for the boat with 4 healthy adults and two children. Do you think this is a possiblity?

Philster

Captain

What did the old prop do?

19p prop on a 22' boat with a 4.3 loaded up? First, it sounds like too much prop. 17p I would seem more believable. But we can't go there yet...

The problem is that you are getting revs out of it, so something is slipping. Prop hub slip or the drive is not all the way down, so the prop is ventilating. There are no other sources of slip.

Now, I'd like to see you have the prop install checked and also need a side pic of the boat on a trailer with the drive trimmed all the way down. <--- two keys to solving the problem.

Verify the tach, too.

NYBo

Admiral

Move a couple of those "healthy adults" toward the bow and see what happens.

Then get some trim tabs.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

have you planned the boat before with the same scenario? (same number of adults and kids) If not then its weight distribution problem, If yes then you more then likely have a mechanically prob listed above. I had a 98 bayliner trophy cuddy cab with a 120 hp force motor, and I had 5 people plus tackle and everything, boat wouldnt plane unless the bigger guy sat up front. haha. But it did plane with no trim tabs. I had the motor trimmed down most of the way down to get her to plane.

Bill Faith

Recruit

Had the same problem with the old prop. Just got the boat. Only been in the water a few times. The mechanic at the marine service center said the prop I have is the correct one for the boat. Had the boat on plane one time but there was only two people aboard. On our last trip out, when we tried to plane the bow was very high. We couldn't even see over it. The back of the boat was very deep in the water. The tach is accurate. Had it checked. Here are the pics.100_1228.jpg

Skiya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

4.3 is a small motor for a 22' boat

mlpaskett

Seaman

Bill, It is a little hard to tell but it looks to me like your drive is not trimmed all the way down/in in the pic. I can be very hard to plane with the drive trimmed up even a little, especially with the size of boat with the load you are describing. To make matters worse, the 4.3 is a bit small for a boat that size. Another question to answer is what is the condition of the boat? Is it full of waterlogged floatation foam?

Bill Faith

Recruit

I am not sure what you mean by waterlogged floatation foam. ?

Maclin

Admiral

I followed a thread one time about this same scenario with a heavy 25 foot Cruiser with a Merc 260. Bow up big time, engine at decent rpm's but low mph and NEVER planed just plowed. Engine ran great, coupler was fine, had been replaced at some point. Anyways, it ended up being the prop, even though the pitch was correct. The prop was just not holding, a new prop was procured and it was like a new boat they said. This was an experienced boater talking to experienced boaters. And it took them all a couple of weeks of thinking and bench-trying stuff before they sprung for the prop.

I am boat budget challenged so I feel any pain there, spending large money on something that may not be the fix. But I can tell you that based on the vicarious experience I had from that online thread, if this was my boat I would try to muster up a good 17p prop and try it.

Philster

Captain

That drive needs to be down and tucked in at an angle. If that's its lowest point, that's not low enough.

Same principal with an O/B. Note how it is tucked in. Some boats that are heavy on the engine will even need help when trimmed down/in like this. But this inward angle is a must.

TrimmedBoat_big.gif

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with above... from what your describing I would say make sure the trim is all the way down, bump it up 3or4 bumps, distribute all weight to the front (coolers,people) etc. as far up they can go. Then wide up throttle and see what happens and report back.

Colorado_Boater

Seaman Apprentice

Basically your boat is like a sponge, over the years the foam that is used to stop your boat from sinking to the bottom has become water loggged.
I am not sure what you mean by waterlogged floatation foam. ?
Now back to the problem. Know nothing about inboards, but I know tons about under powered boats living in Colorado.
First we kneed to know if the motor is being trimmed in all the way , just like all the other posters said, because a trimmed out motor ='s a high nose, normally. take a batter picture of the motor from a few feet back trimmed down all the way, so we can see the whole motor and more of the boat, make sure the camera is level. Then determine if it is in fact being trimmed in all the way, If yes, take the boat out on the water with just 1 person, and only the necessary safety gear, trim it all the way down and see how it goes.
How long does it take to get on the plane like this, ???
Then we will know some more information.
Now what Maclin suggested sounds strange, but then is nothing strange about what can go wrong and will go wrong with boats.
But its either two things.
Boat is too heavy for motor, or there is slippage getting power to the prop, anywhere from the top to the splines. if the motor is running correctly, for example on your outboad when its cold outside, if the motor is only running on 2 cly instead of 3, there is no hope of getting on the plane.
I almost forgot , if there are lots of people onboard them more them to the from if you know that boat can get on the plane with 2 normally for example.