water in cobra outdrive

rayman 62

Cadet
Hello I drained my 1989 5.7 cobra outdrive today. I started by removing the bottom plug and gear oil started to come out then i removed the dip stick and it continued draining so i removed the middle plug and a small amount of water came out about a table spoon full. The oil has been in the outdrive since last season and has been in there all winter. I was wondering is this a leak or condensation. This is my first time changing the gear oil in this boat since i bought it in september of 2011

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: water in cobra outdrive

It could be a leak. I doubt it is condensation; in order to have condensation there needs to be moist air to supply water. If the drive was filled properly there shouldn't be enough airspace to have condensation.

BE CERTAIN TO FOLLOW THE CORRECT PROCEDURE WHEN REFILLING THE DRIVE. IF YOU DON"T DO IT ACCORDING TO PROCEDURE YOU"LL RUIN YOUR DRIVE THE FIRST TIME OUT. THE PROCEDURE IS DIFFERENT FROM MERCRUISER.

cr2k

Captain

That is why you should always change your oil at the end of the season. You don't want water in there all winter.

rayman 62

Cadet

Hi I checked my gear oil this morning after letting it drain all night and found around one quart of gear oil and around 1/3 cup of water and the oil was a bit milky so I guess I will have to fix the problem. Is this much trouble or should I have a mechanic do it.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you've got that much water in it you should have the drive resealed. Whether or not to use a mechanic depends on your level of expertise. Based on your comments I suggest getting a professional to do it.