Omc electric shift pinion questions

Thane2012

Cadet
Hi I am new to this forum but by reading stuff on here in the past you guys are very helpful. I have a 77 reinell 8 meter with a 351w and a 235 electric shift outdrive (ick!) I was running the boat pretty hard and all of a sudden lost forward gear but still had reverse. After taking it apart a little bit I noticed the upper bearing on the lower unit drive shaft was exploded. I then checked the ohms on the front and rear coil and they both measured 5.8 ohms. The splines on the hubs and prop shaft also look in great shape so I'm assuming I have a broken forward spring but I'm not able to get the pinion nut off to pull the forward hub assembly off. I am waiting on a tool to fit over the splines in order to hold the shaft. My question is, is this pinion nut a left handed thread?

Since this little incident left me stranded and had to be towed, I also want to purchase a little kicker motor for these emergency situations nothing much just have to travel about a mile if that back to my boat slip if needed. I was looking at a 9.9 mercury will this be sufficient for my 26 footer? Again it's only going to be used if something happens to my main engine or outdrive and would be used to get me back to the dock. Thanks much Tim

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Omc electric shift pinion questions

No that nut is standard thread, if i recall right you need a 1 and 1/16 open end wrench and driveshaft tool 311875

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Omc electric shift pinion questions

As for a kicker, I would look at a 15+ hp motor. We tried a 9.9 on my father-in-law's 24' boat and with just a little wind or current it would hardly move. He ended up getting a deal on a 20hp kicker and it works way better.