overheat buzzer location

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to figure out the buzzer on my 1988 85hp force. I found a bunch of posts on how to test it and no luck. So my question is, where is it located?

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: overheat buzzer location

most likely by your remote gear lever or under dash. MODEL #? you prob have a thermoswitch in the head. is there a wire coming out of the head itsself? if so turn on key and ground the wire at the terminal to something metal on head. if the buzzer works youll find it pretty easy.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Depending on the boat and the shifter???
Bayliner/Magnum and a few others have it under the dash.
Small round black thingy screwed to the underside of the dash.
The ones using the Force/Chrysler shifter,have it IN the shifter.
Like catfish suggests,key on,ground out the orange lead on the terminal strip.
You should hear a buzz.J

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have tried grounding it with no luck and I removed and disassembled the shifter to lube it up but there were no wires in it so must be under the dash I will look tomorrow with a flashlight and follow up here. Thanks

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK. So I couldn't wait till tomorrow. So I went out, pulled the tarp back a bit and crawled under the dash. Sure enough a wire was disconnected. I reconnected it and grounded the terminal on the motor and "BUZZZZZ". Hopefully it just rattled loose and not disconnected by the PO. I have been out a few times since I got the boat with no problems so I am sure it just rattled loose. Thanks for the help folks.:)

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

mine was un hooked at the motor and caused an overheat and cooked the paint on head. thankfully it did not hurt it. i as of today installed a small red trailer marker on my dash hooked to the buzzer wires. so i have another bit of insurance in case of over heat. if the buzzer fails the light will come on.

96trophy2002

Cadet

Catfish the lite on the dash is a great idea Thanks This forum is great