Prop suggestions

tab71

Recruit
I am looking to get a stainless prop for our new to us bowrider.
Specs:
2005 Chaparral 210SSI
VP 5.0GXI 270HP SX outdrive 1.6 gear ratio
Quicksilver 1918P21 prop 14.25"X21P 3 blade aluminum
3 adults and full of fuel 4950RPM at 47MPH

The holeshot seams reasonable and the RPM's are good but I can not get the boat light in the nose, it will not porpus even at part throttle. Any more then 1/8th trim and the prop starts to slip and the motor goes to 5400. The prop also slips if it is more then a little trimed up when you turn. The prop is like new and seams to have plenty of cup. Looking for best cruise and top speed but will be pulling the kids on the tube some as well.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop suggestions

Is the bottom clean and smooth? Is there anything on the bottom or the back of the boat that might disturb the water in front of the prop?
Your slip is over 20%. High normal is about 12 0r 13 though heavy boats can increase slip.
Someone should be along that can suggest a particular ss prop It does appear a prop with good bow lift.

tab71

Recruit

The boat was always on a hoist or trailer. I even waxed the bottom before I launched the boat and it is as clean as the top. The boat is 3250 plus fuel and gear. Thanks for the reply.

Philster

Captain

Generic prop. Blah.

Best cruise and top speed, but tubing, too? Which one in that list most important?

Can't offer a prop until that question is answered.

tab71

Recruit

Top speed would be number one. I do not want to live with a tug that plows for 20 seconds to plane but 270 hp in a 21 footer should be ok with that.

tab71

Recruit

No ideas. Anyone with a similar boat with what works for them?

jkust

Rear Admiral

I am looking to get a stainless prop for our new to us bowrider.
Specs:
2005 Chaparral 210SSI
VP 5.0GXI 270HP SX outdrive 1.6 gear ratio
Quicksilver 1918P21 prop 14.25"X21P 3 blade aluminum
3 adults and full of fuel 4950RPM at 47MPH

The holeshot seams reasonable and the RPM's are good but I can not get the boat light in the nose, it will not porpus even at part throttle. Any more then 1/8th trim and the prop starts to slip and the motor goes to 5400. The prop also slips if it is more then a little trimed up when you turn. The prop is like new and seams to have plenty of cup. Looking for best cruise and top speed but will be pulling the kids on the tube some as well.

So I have the model one foot down from that Chaparral being the 190SSi/183SS (19' 11" with the platform) but didn't get the optional 270hp so only have the 190hp v6. These are identical hulls but mine is 2950lbs dry plus gas, gear, passengers etc. Basically my Chap does right about 49mph GPS loaded up with a 21 pitch alum at about 4800ish rpm's. Your additional 80 hp plus probably slightly bigger gas tank and SS prop is giving you the same performance pushing an extra 300lbs. I feel like you should have maybe 3 mph more. The difference with my prop is that there is absoltuly no way, no how to make it blow out and have thr RPM's shoot up. I've been using a 21", aluminum, Turning Point Hustler. I need alum because we go to so many new lakes I can't risk internal damage if I hit bottom. I just ordered a new one as our last run of the year on a new lake caught me off guard and I damaged the prop. The Hustler is a pretty agressive prop that robs you of a little speed in exchange for a quicker hole shot and excellent grip. It won't blow out literally no matter how high I trim up at wot which is so much better than the oem merc blackmax prop that was on there originally.