Optimax will not spin prop

rweaver186

Recruit
Hello

I just purchased a nitro with 1999 oprtimax 225 and had it out today. I had turned around and i just hit the throttle to go up to on plane. All of a sudden my engine reved up and I stopped moving. The prop would not spin in forward or reverse. I thought I spun a prop so I used trolling motor to get to a dock and switched to a second prop. This did not change anything. I was able to limp to launch with trolling motor and pulled the boat. The prop either prop will spin free and when you put it in gear while motor is off you can not spin it by hand. When you start the motor and put it in gear it will not spin the prop. I removed the prop and the shaft will not spin. I also cannot hear the motor shifting into gear like I did before the incident. I did not hit anything. Please help I just bought the thing and go my wife back talking to me just the other day. Thanks

rweaver186

Recruit
Re: Optimax will not spin prop

Sorry i cannot get my edit to post so It is a 2001 motor. Sorry it is a 99 nitro. also I was already moving forward when I accelerated and I was amost up to speed when it happened.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm thinking broke shift cable. Disconnect the shift cable under the hood, and shift it by hand.

rweaver186

Recruit

Please excuse my ignorance but could you explain how to do this more.

ok i removed the shift cable started the motor and moved the thing that the shift cable was attached to and nothing happened.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you get a"Mercury Service Manual"from the P.owner.If not,you need it as a reference guide.Ask P.Owner,he might still have it.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a broken driveshaft which was fairly common with these early year models due to it being a single roller bearing driveshaft...