installed new radio but only getting 4 stations ?

canman

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi everyone , i just installed a new pioneer 1300 series am fm cd radio , it works great, the only problem i am having is it will only pick up four stations , does this radio need an amp or a better marine aerial ? thanks ..

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer
Re: installed new radio but only getting 4 stations ?

not sure how old is the antenna, any corrosion on it or the wire, and how many stations would you normally pick up???

a pic would do wonders ???

canman

Petty Officer 1st Class

hello , the antenna is 1989 , where the marine antenna is i dont know . the old radio picked up about 12 stations , and i dont own a camera ,. thanks .

NYBo

Admiral

Many boats use just a piece of wire for the antenna. Did you plug this in when you installed the radio.

canman

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes , the antenna is plugged in , i dont think you can get any channels at all if it is not plugged in ..

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

yes , the antenna is plugged in , i dont think you can get any channels at all if it is not plugged in ..

actually sometimes you can, depending on how close they are to you.......since they are so cheap, i could suggest a 6.99 auto zone replacement, will it hold up? maybe for a few years, but for the money, what the hay???

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Try rotating the male antenna connector inside the female end on the deck to make extra sure that you have a good, solid connection. Check your male plug for any corrosion. Since it's a 23 year old electronics item, I'm inclined to think the problem lies with the antenna..

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

another option, if you have a vhf radio and antenna, you can get a splitter for about $60. more money but one less antenna