Another '89 Evinrude 25 starter/solenoid question...

Ststephen7

Recruit
OK... I have an 89 evinrude 25hp. The starter doesn't rise up and engage the flywheel when I turn the key. It does engage the flywheel when I jump straight from the battery. The solenoid does click.

I am following the troubleshooting instructions I found here as best I can. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158071

I cleaned all of the connections: at the battery terminals, the starter, and the solenoid. The wires seem fine (to my untrained senses).

The voltage at the battery is 12.78
The voltage going into the solenoid on 'run' is 12.78
The voltage going to the starter from the solenoid on 'start' is 10.65

The troubleshooting guide states what to do if I find 12v going to the starter, and what to do if I have less than 9v going to the starter... I'm in the middle at 10.65, and I'm not sure what to do now. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Do I need a new solenoid?

Thank you!
Steve

Re: Another '89 Evinrude 25 starter/solenoid question...

You said that the starter bendix engages the flywheel when using jumper cables. Over and above that, does the starter turn the motor over fast enough when using jumpers?

Here's how I'd check it (and this is what's in my OMC manual). Take these voltage readings while someone momentarily engages the starter for you (disable the ignition so the engine can't fire).

1. Measure the voltage from the + battery terminal to the solenoid positive terminal. Should be less than about 0.3 volts

2. Measure the voltage across the solenoid (from the solenoid positive terminal to the solenoid starter lead terminal). Should be less than about 0.2 volts. (This is the reading that will tell you if the solenoid is bad or not).

3. Measure the voltage from the + starter terminal to the solenoid starter terminal. Should be less than about 0.2 volts.

4. Measure the voltage from the battery - terminal to a good engine ground. Should be less than about 0.3 volts.

If any of those readings are too high that means there's excessive resistance and you've located a problem.

edit to add:

What you're doing with this method is systematically measuring the voltage drop of each component of the starter circuit, beginning with the positive battery cable, then the solenoid, then the cable from the solenoid to starter, then the negative battery cable. These checks assume that you have a good, properly charged battery. You'll notice that if you add all these readings together they come up to 1 volt. That means that the voltage across the starter when cranking should be within 1 volt of the battery voltage while cranking (which is only going to be in the range of 10 or 11 volts depending on battery condition - this is because of the battery's internal resistance).

Ststephen7

Recruit

Thank you for your reply!

I can answer your first question.

When I use the jumper cable the starter spins and engages the flywheel, then stops dead for a second or two... then it begins to turn the flywheel. I lost my house to foreclosure and I'm in an apartment without a hose, so I didn't keep it connected long enough to actually turn over the motor.

Does that indicate anything, or is that normal?

The voltages I listed below are the readings with the key turned and the starter spinning in place...
When I have someone to help I'll go through your list and take better notes...

I bought the boat about 6 years ago and have always fished on a lake that only allowed trolling motors. This is the first year I've lived close enough to a lake that allowed outboards. In past years I started it in the driveway a couple of times each season just to run it for a few minutes. For the past 2 years I've had to use the rope to start it, and since I couldn't use it anyway I wasn't that concerned.

I took it to a local boat shop a month ago. They changed the plugs and put in a new battery and said it was fixed... it was not. However I'm not working and can't really afford to pay them to troubleshoot it, so I'm trying to do it myself.

Thank you so much for your help!
Steve

While going directly to the starter with jumper cables the starter ought to be able to spin the engine nicely. If it doesn't you've either got a weak battery or a bad starter.