Gas line--oil line?

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Replacing a 2ft. section of oil line ,VRO Johnson. 1/4 inside dia. Is this the same type hose as marine gas line?? Thanks, Daveydoodle. It appears to be same as marine fuel line w/ thick reinforced rubber. Just want to be sure before I relace that piece that had a leak from a small tear.

Last edited:

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Gas line--oil line?

Not the same as fuel line. Wall of hose is thicker.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

According to OMC Service Manuals there shouldn't be any splices in the oil line.

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for info, yes OS dia is thicker , had to go thru same dia. port into engine, so marine gas line was out. Found an auto parts store open on Sat. & replaced it with standard rubber 1/4 IS dia auto gas line that matched thickness. The piece I replaced was 18 inches spliced just inside the splash well(engine side) even tho the specs say no splice it looks like an original fitting. Not under alot of pressure due to spotting the drip of oil only when I primed the bulb. Thoughts?? or i will test her out with a keen eye.Thanks

clanton

Rear Admiral

If you see a drop of oil at the connections, when you pump the oil primer bulb, you have a leak which will suck air when engine is running.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like someone tried to save a buck or a trip back to the store with that fitting, even if they did make it look nice. +1 clanton's point if oil can get out air can get in. Do a better job than the previous owner.

edit: in addition you're adding a restriction which could affect the throughput of the pump.

64osby

Admiral

If you end up replacing the whole line, double check the end near the motor. Mine had an inline filter in it.

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No filter, with all the info. gonna replace w/o the splice in it the proper way..Now Im wondering if there was a filter at one time. Gue ss ill call OMC & get info on filter and proper hose to use , if someone knows shoot it my way 1989 Johnson 140 VRO.The line on it is 1/4 is dia. about 3 ft total L. from oil tank to squeeze ball to engine w/1 splice just on motor side of splash well .The only reason I even messed w/ it was due to a small tear that would leak a little when bulb squeezed.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The orignal had a short hose from pump to outside of cowling, with plastic fitting and crimp on clamp. Just for easy rigging.