First boat: 1988 Bass Tracker

Hello everyone!
I'm new here, and I am picking up my first boat next week. I have it reserved at a local Marine dealership.

I was going to go with a 1991 Nitro, but it had a 150hp motor, and I thought it would a bit heavy for my Toyota Tacoma. I ultimately found a 1988 Bass Tracker with a 70 hp Mercury, and 55lb thrust Minnkota trolling motor with a foot pedal. It's had a compression test, and came back good I guess. It comes with 2 batteries, and they said everything works, and it doesn't leak. They said it's ready to fish with, which is good. It was a consignment boat and has a complete service record there.

The carpet is in great shpae, but I'd like to clean up the aluminum, since it's weathered. Maybe even new decals if I have the money. Gotta impress the ladies! lol (JK)

Since this is my first boat, I am wondering what I am going to need to have it good to go.
So far, I know I need for everyday stuff, and on tournament day:
PFD's with rope
air horn
fire extinguiser
life jackets
TP (lol)
bottled water
Anchor
Tow Rope
Jumper cables
tools
extra spark plugs
extra fuses
buoys
zip ties
some type of dry food
raingear
change of warm clothes
towels
sunglasses
measuring board
culling system
fizzer

Is there anything else that I definitely need? I have some these items already, and plan on getting a fish finder of course. Looking at the hummingbird 597ci hd.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: First boat: 1988 Bass Tracker

Looks like you've been doing your homework. I always forget something seems like. Good luck with everything.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Some limited hand tools, carry a piece of wire, electrical tape and I always like to carry a stick of marine epoxy for gas tank leaks or hull leaks. Get the stuff that will cure under water...........and a cheap collapsible fishing rod :)

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

i used Mother's aluminum cleaner, and then used the shark to seal it..............now i can shave in the image of my tin can..................

Jasoutside's restoration thread of his starcraft SS explains it perfectly ............

Looks like you've been doing your homework. I always forget something seems like. Good luck with everything.

Yeah...I didn't realize all of the little things that I need to buy!

Dozerlady

Cadet

How about a net, long needle nose pliers for pulling hooks out, waterproof flashlight, and I like to have rubber gloves for handling fish, as well as a first aid kit on board. Also not necessary but good to have, sunblock and or umbrellas. We have pvc pipes mounted on seatbacks for umbrella stands. You can burn to a crisp out on the lake all day.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pics look good. I just put a bimini on my little boat. I think we're gonna like it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Sonar is a must (fishfinder) and a GPS can come in very handy.

Battery charger?

Rod holders.

An extra quart of 2 stroke oil.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

A good pair of side cutters for when you get those deeply hooked fingers and need to cut the hook off the lure!

Personal experience!

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

A good pair of side cutters for when you get those deeply hooked fingers and need to cut the hook off the lure!

Personal experience!
The black tape will help there too. :)

Today is the day I pick it up!!!

That said, I already have gotten:
rope
heavy duty wet wipes
waterproof flashlight, that also can look like a glowstick/has a whistle on it
a real whistle
tarp tie down straps
beef jerky (lol)
kids life jackets
extra pliers
gorilla tape
I already have a adult life jacket for myself
square PFD, and will be connected to a rope
My fishfinder/gps arrived the other day (I got the Lowrance Elite 5 dsi)...yeah, I don't mess around! lol

I was looking into a battery charger, but I am storing the boat at my landlord's house, and when I asked if it would be ok if I could charge it there, he told me not to buy any chargers because he has mulitple heavy duty trickle chargers.(sweet!)
I already have insurance on it, as of yesterday. I also got them to give me a 30 day warranty, and they will take me out and give me a boat test.

I do still need a net, and a few other items.

Lowe170

Seaman

'Hope it floated and worked as advertized. I think I read you fish tournaments, so you will want a bow mounted sonar (fish/depth finder) too. I hope that 70hp is enough to keep you in the competition if you're up against a bunch of fast glass boats!
Don't forget that boater's safety course, too (good for all and saving on insurance.) Good luck and enjoy!

The dealership is giving me a free boat test on Friday. I got it last friday, but it literally rained for 4 days straight...really hard. Argghhh!
It was nice yesterday, and it looks like we are headed for better weather.
I have gotten some more items...
First off, I registered and insured it. I also got my bump board, and bought a bump board ruler, some butt seats (which I failed to get the poles, since I didn't realize I needed different ones than one what I have for the captains chairs).
I think I'm going to need different trailer tires, because they have dry rotted a bit.
So let's see...
1st aid kit
fire extinguisher
landing net
tires
front fish finder
one more adult life jacket for the non-boater during tournaments...