Question on fabricating rear mount on Teleflex 'The Rack' system for old tin boat

Bigkat650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I am modifying an old 1950's Alumacraft 14ft boat with a 1950's 35hp evinrude lark. I have a used teleflex system scavenged from the gentlemen I purchased the motor from. It is the basic mechanical teleflex system known as The Rack.

On the end that mounts to the motor, there is the push/pull mechinism, and at the base of that is a little threaded female connector, see picture: 100722668-260x260-0-0_Teleflex+Teleflex+SSC6107+7+Safe+T+Big+T+Marine+St.jpg

I believe this is the rear mount for it. I tried hooking mine up without using this, and there is just way too much 'slop' in the system. So basically, I feel I need to find or fabricate something to screw into that opening that I can use to mount the rear of the system.

Basically, the first thing that would be a nice easy cheap fix is using threaded conduit. Its readily available, and I could get it for cheap basically at any hardware store. So I purchased the 1/2" inside diameter as I wanted it to be just slightly larger then the push/pull mechanism. Unfortunately, it looks like the mechanism is 1/2" itself, and it doesn't work. So my next thought is tomorrow I will return it, and try and find a 3/4" piece.

My question is, has anyone every tried to fabricate the mount for the back of this system? Is there something better then conduit that is relatively inexpensive and readily available? I'm not even sure if the 3/4" will fit the existing female connector on the mechanism--im just hoping it will. Assuming it will, it should be a relatively easy fix. If it doesnt work, I have no idea what to do next--which is why I'm posting here, as I would like to have a back-up plan if my plan doesn't work.

Thanks!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question on fabricating rear mount on Teleflex 'The Rack' system for old tin boat

The engine had a (2 ea) SS, S shaped bracket that the barrel fit into directly in line with the throttle or shifter, held in place with 2 ss screws which screwed into the lower cowling on both sides of the engine....look for them as they are clearly visable. Depending upon which cable you are talking about the end of the cable has either a hole in it and should have a ss snap such that you push the adapter over the pin of your throttle linkage and snap the lock, or for the shift cable, same deadman configuration but there is a spring loaded screw that fits into the hole on the shifter handle and locks.

Then you play with the linkage until you can get the barrel at the right position on the threaded shaft so that you have removed your slop and the shifter and throttle respond to the cable position with minimal slop and in the case of the shifter, the engine is in N when the shifter handle on the remote is in N.

Even though the cable outer conductor is attached to the control box, it needs to be "dead manned" at the use end also as there is enough slop in a 10' or so length of shielded cable to cause problems. So, if you have to rig up your own thing, just keep the basics in mind: Mounting holes for a deadman bracket are already on the engine. Barrel mounts to the deadman on the engine to secure the outer shield at the point of usage. Barrel runs up and down a threaded shaft to calibrate the system as I mentioned herein.

HTH,
Mark

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Question on fabricating rear mount on Teleflex 'The Rack' system for old tin boat

I think you are describing a steering system. If so, send me a PM with your email address and I will reply with a scanned copy of the Teleflex installation instructions I used to convert my 1959 Johnson 35HP to mechanical cable steering. Good luck with that great old boat and motor!

Last edited:

Bigkat650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The engine had a (2 ea) SS, S shaped bracket that the barrel fit into directly in line with the throttle or shifter, held in place with 2 ss screws which screwed into the lower cowling on both sides of the engine....look for them as they are clearly visable. Depending upon which cable you are talking about the end of the cable has either a hole in it and should have a ss snap such that you push the adapter over the pin of your throttle linkage and snap the lock, or for the shift cable, same deadman configuration but there is a spring loaded screw that fits into the hole on the shifter handle and locks.

Then you play with the linkage until you can get the barrel at the right position on the threaded shaft so that you have removed your slop and the shifter and throttle respond to the cable position with minimal slop and in the case of the shifter, the engine is in N when the shifter handle on the remote is in N.

Even though the cable outer conductor is attached to the control box, it needs to be "dead manned" at the use end also as there is enough slop in a 10' or so length of shielded cable to cause problems. So, if you have to rig up your own thing, just keep the basics in mind: Mounting holes for a deadman bracket are already on the engine. Barrel mounts to the deadman on the engine to secure the outer shield at the point of usage. Barrel runs up and down a threaded shaft to calibrate the system as I mentioned herein.

HTH,
Mark

Wait, I'm confused... This sounds more like instructions on how to set-up and connect the throttle and shifter cables? I have those connected no problem...

The problem I am having is mounting the teleflex steering system to the boat at where the push/pull rod joins the swing arm to the motor. I believe this system is designed to be a replacement for an already existing teleflex mechanical system--where my boat was originally set-up with cable pulley steering, so I'm missing hardware to properly mount it. Now I have to fabricate :)

I can post a video of the problem if it would help anyone come up with an answer? BTW, thanks Willy, PM sent

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You are not going to fabricate a rotary controller to fit that cable unless you have a fully equipped machine shop. You have a few choices depending on the behind the dash clearance....... buy a rotary unit or a rack.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I think you are describing a steering system. If so, send me a PM with your email address and I will reply with a scanned copy of the Teleflex installation instructions I used to convert my 1959 Johnson 35HP to mechanical cable steering. Good luck with that great old boat and motor!

BigCat, Sounds like you have a complete steering system, but need to get it attached to the motor.

If so, private message Willyclay, and take him up on his offer.

Willyclay

Captain

PM received and email sent with attachments. Good luck!