1990 GT150 Need Help Please

CoreyH

Recruit
Hey guys just wanted to say hello. Im new to this fourm and really pleased with all the information on here. Just wondering if anyone could help. i have a johnson gt150 1990 year model. It fires up runs great for about 20 minutes or as long as you run it, but when u power it down and go to crank it back up it wont start. it has no spark on any cylinder. crompression is around 100 on all cylinders. it does have a electric fuel pump installed in boat if that matter. Thanks guys for any help you can give. I appreciate it.

Corey

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1990 GT150 Need Help Please

you need to follow the links in my sig below then test the motor when it has no spark

CoreyH

Recruit

Ive carried to a reliable marine mechanic he said the powerpack and stator checked good. he said hes never seen this before.

SparkieBoat

Captain

need to test timer base, fly wheel magnets, also and regulator. instructions in the link in my sig. you will need to disconnect the kill wire(black with yellow stripe I think) going to power pack to make sure it is not a wire short, you will have to reconnect it to stop the engine. test needs to be done while there is no spark

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Possible your marine mechanic tested your components when the engine had cooled off. As Sparkie mentioned, most weak ignition components tend to fail once the engine heats up to normal operating temps. You may want to run the engine up to normal temps, wait till you lose spark, then check each plugwire with a timing light. The flashes from the gun will show you the quality of spark on each wire. There is a voltage test for the timer base-one major ignition component which your tech may not have tested.