wiring question

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm trying to get my boat running and on the water asap and do the finish wiring as time permits. My question is...what needs wired to start motor and for it to keep running?

My guess is the electric choke and ignition switch. Navigation, horn, lighter, etc can be done later. Am i correct or am i missing something?

Also i included pics of three wires coming out of motor. It is hardwired and i'd appreciate any advice on where these wires should hook to. Positive connection?

Thanks for any help with the noob questions...boat is picured below...motor is a 1958 Evinrude 50HP Starflite.

100_4398.jpg

100_4397.jpg

The wires
518124.jpg

Where the wires go
518123.jpg

518122.jpg

Junction box. Any comments on how this should be wired are also welcome!
518126.jpg

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: wiring question

Nevermind, i think i'm figuring it out. I have a Seloc manual but for some reason the wiring diagram for my motor is not in it.

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I'm a little upset about the paint to the right of the motor. It flaked off for unknown reasons but it can be fixed.

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, i need some help. The wiring in my boat was such a birds nest i removed a lot of it and am trying to clean up the mess.

First...ignition switch is a 3 pole (bat, ign, sol) but with my motor being a magneto system will i need a 6 pole ignition swith that has 2 "M" connections for the magneto and a push choke connector since it does have the push choke switch (along with the ign, bat, and sol connections)?

Second, do i "need" a voltage regulator? The wiring diagram that is similar to my motor shows one. If i do need a voltage regulator..are they generic/universal or do i need a specific one? By the way, my boat does not have an ammeter which the wiring diagram is showing. Is that what the voltage regulator is for? I don't think so but have to ask.

P.S. battery will only be used to start the motor, no nav lights, bilge pump, radio, etc.

NYBo

Admiral

Since you have a magneto system and need to engage the electric choke, yes, you need the proper ignition switch, like this one.

The battery itself acts as a voltage regulator, so unless charging voltage goes above 16v or the battery boils off a lot of electrolyte, you won't need to add one. However, if you do have to add one, you can use a cheap generic one.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ammeters have not been used for a long time. They having nothig to do with voltage regulation. It is one way of telling if the battery is charging or discharging and by how much. They have been replaced by "voltmeters" many years ago.

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you guys verify my wiring? I don't want to fry anything!

At the ignition switch i ran the following...
M terminal = wire to magneto
M terminal = wire to ground in the junction box
S terminal = wire to solenoid small terminal
B terminal = wire to the solenoid big post that the positive battery cable is connected to
C terminal = wire to choke switch. Another wire out of choke switch to choke solenoid/plunger thing

Safety switch is ground to powerhead and other wire to solenoid
Positive cable to starter

If all that sounds ok, the only other question i have is, what should the I on the ignition switch go to?

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess i'll hook up the battery and see what happens:confused:

NYBo

Admiral

The positive sides of the gauges hook up to the "I" terminal in a daisy chain.

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, so no gauges equals no hookup required. I did find out i need a solenoid...so far so good.

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does a ground need to be connected between junction box and powerhead? I do not get power to starterwhen turning switch to start.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The positive sides of the gauges hook up to the "I" terminal in a daisy chain.

Not on an outboard ignition switch they don't. Gauges are powered from the "A" (accessory) termina on an outboard (magneto ignition)l. They are powered from the "I" terminal on an I/O ignition switch (battery ignition).

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Does a ground need to be connected between junction box and powerhead? I do not get power to starterwhen turning switch to start.

There is a ground wire in the engine harness. Without it you cannot kill the engine (connecting the two "M" terminals. A ground is not necessary in that harness to run the engine. Current for the starter goes from the big POS battery cable, up the big red wire to the "B" terminal on the switch, then out the "S" terminal on the switch when you turn the key to START. It ipasses through the neutral start switch and then goes to the solenoid. If the engine is not grounded (big black battery cable to the NEG battery terminal) or the solenoid is not grounded it won't crank.

NYBo

Admiral

Not on an outboard ignition switch they don't. Gauges are powered from the "A" (accessory) termina on an outboard (magneto ignition)l. They are powered from the "I" terminal on an I/O ignition switch (battery ignition).
That would mean the OP has the wrong ignition switch.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That would mean the OP has the wrong ignition switch.

His wiring at the switch is correct and that is an outboard switch and the pictures are most definitely of an outboard.. If the system doesn't work the wiring is wrong on the other end. On an I/O switch the "B" and "I" terminals carry 12 volts to the ignition system. On an outboard the "B" terminal and "A" terminal combine to feed the instruments and have nothing to do with the magneto ignition. The two "M" terminals close to kill the engine and open to run the engine. An I/O switch has three terminals (I, B, and S).

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found a broken wire between solenoid and ignition switch. Man what a learning experience!
New problem, when i turn the ignition switch to start the starter spins but does not "move" up to turn the flywheel. Would that be a problem with the starter itself or the top part that turns the flywheel?
100_4469.jpg

NYBo

Admiral

His wiring at the switch is correct and that is an outboard switch and the pictures are most definitely of an outboard.. If the system doesn't work the wiring is wrong on the other end. On an I/O switch the "B" and "I" terminals carry 12 volts to the ignition system. On an outboard the "B" terminal and "A" terminal combine to feed the instruments and have nothing to do with the magneto ignition. The two "M" terminals close to kill the engine and open to run the engine. An I/O switch has three terminals (I, B, and S).
My point was that a magneto outboard switch shouldn't have an "I" terminal.