1973 evinrude 50hp no power to starter.

pictishusa

Cadet
Hi im new , just picked up this boat and motor , was suppose to be in running order , yah right, so any way when i hit the start swich all i get is some movement from the linkage, dont know what that is but nothing to the starter, have any clues why that may be? second i tried jumping the starter and nope not enough to turn the flywheel it turns it a half turn while humming pretty loud and then it kills my juice, im trtying to use a battery charger on the starter but it overloads my charger, when i try to jump it straight from the battery to the charger not enought juice to turn the flywheel however if i take the gear from the starter off of the flywheel it spins freely, im stumped, please help with any ideas.
thanks
Dave

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1973 evinrude 50hp no power to starter.

First check your battery, make sure it's fully charged. If you have to, take it to your local auto parts and have it load tested. Second, check your battery cables that they are clean and tight. Check for corrosion, these cables generally corrode from the inside out.

BTW- what kind of boat is this on?

pictishusa

Cadet

thanks for the reply, i actually got it to fire, by jumping the starter with my car, im guessing maybe the solonoid may be bad im not sure, battery is new and fully charged, the motor is on a 1965 glastron trihull 15ft

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check the battery cables, look around here and you will see they the greatest source of trouble with motors.

mark1961

Ensign

There may be internal corrosion (resistance) in the main battery/starter motor leads, you need to check all of wiring and connections in the starting circuit and make sure everything is clean and tight.....that moving linkage was most likely for the choke.

Not sure what type of battery charger you have but in order to work starter motors need to draw high amperage.....not advisable to try and jump one with a battery charger.

pictishusa

Cadet

your right about the choke and the linkage, i replaced the solenoid still nothing checked the connections and dont see anything out of wack.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What connections did you check ??

pictishusa

Cadet

i looked at the power pack , quick disconect, problem may be at the key switch itself, has poer when turned on ,lights and horn work but nothing when in start position.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did you check the battery cable connections on both the battery and the mtr for being good, clean and tight?? Especially the ground cable on the mtr.

pictishusa

Cadet

at least the ends of the cables are clean and look good