Boat storage compartment odors

Winter storage for my boat is on my in-laws farm in a machine shed. Mice and cats are my biggest concerns. Got the boat back this spring and the odors in the hull and storage bins were pretty offensive. I'm guessing a majority of the odor removing options out there are fish repellants. Does anyone know of something that, if it gets on my gear, won't repel fish?

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat storage compartment odors

Winter storage for my boat is on my in-laws farm in a machine shed. Mice and cats are my biggest concerns. Got the boat back this spring and the odors in the hull and storage bins were pretty offensive. I'm guessing a majority of the odor removing options out there are fish repellants. Does anyone know of something that, if it gets on my gear, won't repel fish?

Throw some bags of descecant in there to see if just drying it out kills most of the odors. You might have to recharge them (dry them in the oven) a couple of times.

If the odors persist then get a large bottle of Dawn Dishwashing soap and chill it in the refrigerator until the wax congeals. Pour off the wax and then use the soap just like you normall would. Removing the wax will keep the surface from being sealed and let the detergent really get in and clean. It's a trick I learned from cleaning engine blocks and it really works.

Re: Boat storage compartment odors

Throw some bags of descecant in there to see if just drying it out kills most of the odors. You might have to recharge them (dry them in the oven) a couple of times.

If the odors persist then get a large bottle of Dawn Dishwashing soap and chill it in the refrigerator until the wax congeals. Pour off the wax and then use the soap just like you normall would. Removing the wax will keep the surface from being sealed and let the detergent really get in and clean. It's a trick I learned from cleaning engine blocks and it really works.
Thank you Jlaw. Moisture isn't evident but I guess that doesn't mean it's not the cause. I might try the silica gel packets if I can find them. I can't imagine it would be cost prohibitive. The hull would be tough to clean out with soap though. The wax scenario is interesting.