Evinrude 18 hp won't start, update from may16th post.

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,The engine will run for a few seconds,but only if i remove the carb and spray premix directly into the inlet manifold, when i replace the carb it won't run,not even if i spray premix into the carb venturi,i've stripped the carb, blown all the airways and gallerys out,and it still won't start,i also have a spare carb, of which i've done the same to,and get the same result,is there something i'm over looking,it's as if there isn't enough vacumm to drag the fuel out of the carb.
There is also a pipe which runs from the bottom of the inlet manifold, to the bottom plate beneath the plate which the fuel pump mounts too,this appears to be a vacuum pipe,but fuel comes out of the outlet to it in the inlet manifold,is this normal.Many Thanks in anticipation Phil

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 18 hp won't start, update from may16th post.

Got a model # ??

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,it's a 1971,number18103.Thanks

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm... if your carb is clean and set properly I would suspect the fuel pump or ignition.

Disconnect the fuel line that supplies the carb and start (pull the rope or activate the starter) fuel should pulse from the line.

Have you checked spark and compression?

omcnut

Seaman Apprentice

is there suction at the carb thooat when you crank it ? if not mabey reed valves or crank seals are bad either of wich could cause a no fuel draw problem

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Again,Yes the engine has good compression 115 on both,a good spark fat and blue,fuel pump pumping fuel well,after a few pulls it runs out the choke aparture,so i think there is some draw there,i'll check tomorrow if there's any suction on the throat,i had a niggleing feeling it might be a full rebuild,just hopeing it might be an easier fix.

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice

It now appears the pipe that runs from the inlet manifold to the cylinder block is an overflow pipe for excess fuel,i presume it enters the lower cylinder to burn off.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes, that "pipe" is part of the oil recuit system on the mtr. How did you check your spark ??

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,i checked by earthing the plug on the head,and then with an in line sealey spark tester,both showed a good big blue spark,like i said in earlier post if you take the carb of and spray pre mix directly into the manifold it will run for a few seconds,but not when the carbs back on,there must be some suction from the engine as fuel will leaak out of the choke throat after a few pulls,but it doesn't seem to reach the cylinders,with the carb removed,how far should the reeds open when pulling over,these appear to hardly move.It won't run if you spray premix into plug holes though.Phil

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is there an open air gap in the sealey spark tester or just a neon lite ?? I'm not familiar with it. I always use an open air gap tester.

nwcove

Admiral

does it make a kick...snort ..or backfire when you put premix directly into the plug holes??? what plugs are in it?

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

You said fuel runs out of the carb throat after a couple of pulls? Your float may not be set properly.

The float should be level with the carb body when upside down. (Somewhere on this site *in the top secret files* there is a good picture of a proper setting.)

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,float sits dead level when carb body is inverted.

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice

does it make a kick...snort ..or backfire when you put premix directly into the plug holes??? what plugs are in it?
Hi,none of the above,plugs are new j6 champions,,,

omcnut

Seaman Apprentice

im still not shure if you have checked your reeds...if you hold your hand over the carb mouth and pull it over do you feel suction? and if you hold your hand aprox 2 cm in front of carb mouth wiyh throttle wide open do you feel any air blowing out against your hand?... air blowing against your hand would indicate reeds not sealing and nu suction would be a symptom of bad crank seals either of wich would cause no intake charge to be drawn into the cyl preventing ignition.....

kfa4303

Banned

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice

Thankyou to all who replied with advice,the engine is now running,i still don't know what was wrong,but it suddenly started and has done so ever since,one of lifes big mysteries i suppose,once again many thanks to you all.Phil