Bravo 3 gear lube prematurely black???

Tikihut

Cadet
Just bought a new to us '04 Rinker 270 with a 5.7 mercruiser and 2:20 B3(see pic). Survey and mechanic receipts showed only 15hrs since last oil change in the stern drive when it was removed/serviced and also pressure tested ok. Checked B3 oil before launch and it was clean and green at the drain plug. Ran about 10hrs with part of it being a 30mi non-stop run and had a nagging feeling after returning and reading about sterndrive heat issues on long runs so I checked it again and it's as black as tar(but no noise, water or filings at the drain). Also noticed slight grey residue on upper unit(heat related?) that I hadn't noticed earlier.

No other high quality lower unit oil I've owned has gone black, so how concerned should I be? For a definate base line I figured I'd change the OD oil with merc gear oil and clean the tank too, run it a few hrs and ck again but maybe it's standard procedure for it to get gunky as quick as it did. If it's an internal problem then pulling the drive is a pretty straight forward job, thanks to the Adults only section help files, but determining what caused it(beside heat or cheap oil) is the issue(if any).

Thanks for your opinions to sooth my overprotective nature in advance, Mike
2012-05-02_17-23-58_571rsz.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bravo 3 gear lube prematurely black???

That 30 mile trip probably caused it. There really isn't any cooling of the upper gear box when on plane, and the exhaust does run through it too.
There are companies that make things called drive showers to cool them. http://www.driveshowers.com/

Tikihut

Cadet
Re: Bravo 3 gear lube prematurely black???

Don,
Thanks for the quick reply. So, nothing to fear except for those days when I run it further than 5miles +/- when I should ease it off plane to cool down for a bit?

I'll change the oil and keep an eye on it and add a Stern shower if I insist on commuting.

Being former sailors for 20yrs it was normal to run the engine non-stop for endless hours/all day long to only get down the coast a mind numbing 30mi. I just need to settle down a bit covering the same ground in 90mins with this new PB stuff;).

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be back. It's a great relief to find a friendly and knowledgeable forum like this one.
Mike