A1-G2 upper unit leaking gear oil

SeadawgVB

Cadet
I have gear oil dripping down the lower unit's drive shaft. Obviously the lower seal in the upper unit is shot. This outdrive is pristine otherwise.

Two questions:
1. Do the seals only come out from the top? (After removing gears, upper dirve shaft, bearings etc as shown in the exploded diagram I have.)

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, can I just reassemble with all the original parts; shims, bearings, cups, etc?

Any tips, tricks gotchas would be welcome.

Dave Orwig

Alpha one Gen II
SN#0F406774
1995ish
1.84R gear ratio

SeadawgVB

Cadet
Re: A1-G2 upper unit leaking gear oil

So, according to page 3A-39, the answer to question #1 is yes, through the top! Thank you Don.

What say you about question #2? If I reassembling using all the old hardware and shims, will I be needing the "shimming tool" to set the drive gear location??

Looks like a fairly involved job (just to change a seal!)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry forgot part 2, the answer is yes.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Looks like a fairly involved job (just to change a seal!)

It's not... I just outlined the step-by-step over in the other thread regarding the same question... The only specials tool you'll need are the spanner for removing the front retainer ring, a 12 point 3/8" socket (top cover screws)... and a torque wrench.

SeadawgVB

Cadet

I'm thinking you are referring to THIS thread.

Guess I need to get caught up, I'll pull my outdrive tomorrow.

But I need to go get one of those fancy tool thingies (Bearing retainer spanner).

achris

I'm thinking you are referring to THIS thread.

Guess I need to get caught up, I'll pull my outdrive tomorrow.

But I need to go get one of those fancy tool thingies (Bearing retainer spanner).

No, this thread -> http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=549716&p=3774304&viewfull=1#post3774304

Spanner -> http://www.iboats.com/Spanner-Nut-W...1701284--session_id.003978934--view_id.187510

If you haven't pulled a drive before, a demo video -> http://youtu.be/w3O63YTOhn8

SeadawgVB

Cadet

I've pulled the drive before, hardest part is lifting it. I am wondering about the "gear location" both the pinion and the drive gear; you don't mention that in your outline. It requires the Shimming Tool (91-60523). I guess this stems from my original question #2. How much of the steps in the 3A manual do I ignore due to the fact this has been previously setup by the factory?

achris

Since you're just doing the seals and not replacing gears or bearings, then the original shimming will be the same... No need to reshim. Just make sure the top cover bolts are torqued to only 20lb.ft, and the front retainer is at 200lb.ft...

SeadawgVB

Cadet

Thanks for the confirmation, that's what I was thinking, but as a rank novice to stern drives, my own thinking is liable to get me in trouble. ......let me go round up some parts...