Hole through Transom

Hrokor

Seaman
Water seeping through this hole in the transom. A friend said I should not put a plug in the hole, but while on the water if I walk to the back of the boat water will seep in. Is it normal for water to flow in? Hole.jpg

Hrokor

Seaman
Re: Hole through Transom

Well, if you look at the two motor mounting bolts there is a hole directly between them and a couple of inches below. I am just not sure what the hole is for. It is the same size as the bilge drain hole.

The Rooster

Ensign

Water seeping through this hole in the transom. A friend said I should not put a plug in the hole, but while on the water if I walk to the back of the boat water will seep in. Is it normal for water to flow in? View attachment 147023

Need an expanded view, but looks like a drain for the motor well, which should be enclosed on all 4 sides. The actual floor of the boat should be about 1 ft. below the motor well.

chriscraft254

Commander

Its just a drain for the splash well. If you want to put a plug in it, go ahead and when you see water in there, pull the plug. don't leave it in if you are docking and leaving the boat moored.

By the way, its not going to hurt anything for a little water to come in, because it will go out when you start moving the boat forward. If it bothers you, then throw a plug in it.

Hrokor

Seaman

Thank you for the replies! It only bothers me because I didn't notice it until I added a bait tank which put an extra 100 pounds on the back of the boat. But I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

That well is there to catch water and the hole is to drain it, if you plug the hole water won't be able ot get out like it should, normal and as designed, leave it open and enjoy the boat.

robert graham

Admiral

It's not a problem, but if it bothers you maybe install a Scupper Valve, a one-way valve that will let water out but not in...lots of off-shore boats have these to help keep the water out from waves, swells, following wakes, etc....

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

All above are correct. But that hole (drain) has a dual purpose. Its where I store my drain plug when the boat is in the garage. Never lost one yet.

southkogs

Staff member

Are you taking water in that hole when the boat is just sitting in calm water? My old OB used to have a drain hole in the splash well, but sitting still it was reasonably high off the waterline. If you've added 100lbs to the back of the boat, and are now regularly taking water in through that hole - you may have created a small problem for yourself. The hole should drain the minute you're moving on plane, but taking water in sitting still would not be good in my opinion.

Maclin

Admiral

I agree with Southkogs, that drain hole should be well above the water line even when loaded and only DRAIN any backsplash that gets into that well from wave action. I would rethink the latest modification.

bekosh

Lieutenant

I agree with Southkogs, that drain hole should be well above the water line even when loaded and only DRAIN any backsplash that gets into that well from wave action. I would rethink the latest modification.
I would look closely at where your waterline is. I does sound like you might be asking for trouble.
Just last weekend we had a fishing boat towed into our marina. He had a big outboard and a kicker on the back reducing his free-board to about 4-6 inches. He was out on Lake Winnebago and took a wave over the stern and she filled up and rolled right over. Fortunately both occupants had on life jackets.

Here are a couple of photos. In the one where it's in the slings, you can see how high the waterline was.
2012-05-12_12-22-37_965.jpg2012-05-12_11-48-43_834.jpg

64osby

Admiral

Thank you for the replies! It only bothers me because I didn't notice it until I added a bait tank which put an extra 100 pounds on the back of the boat. But I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

This could be you \l/ \l/ \l/

I would look closely at where your waterline is. I does sound like you might be asking for trouble.
Just last weekend we had a fishing boat towed into our marina. He had a big outboard and a kicker on the back reducing his free-board to about 4-6 inches. He was out on Lake Winnebago and took a wave over the stern and she filled up and rolled right over. Fortunately both occupants had on life jackets.

Here are a couple of photos. In the one where it's in the slings, you can see how high the waterline was.
View attachment 147064View attachment 147065

Just a slightly overloaded or wet foam boat :eek:. Glad no one was hurt. Nice example bekosh!!!

Hrokor

Seaman

Are you taking water in that hole when the boat is just sitting in calm water? My old OB used to have a drain hole in the splash well, but sitting still it was reasonably high off the waterline. If you've added 100lbs to the back of the boat, and are now regularly taking water in through that hole - you may have created a small problem for yourself. The hole should drain the minute you're moving on plane, but taking water in sitting still would not be good in my opinion.
It is not like I have to bale the water out or anything, when I step to the back like to trim motor up and I see water seep through the hole. Lol, I read the first few comments and my mind was at ease now I am worried again.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

My old bow rider was like that and it made a perfict place to keep the plug. :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yes ......there is a problem.

the boat should in no way be that close to the water while drifting.......one good boat wave, and you are swimming.

if you look closely at the water line on the boat shown above that capsized......you can see the water line well above the chine of the boat.

in a factory boat.....the water line will be just a few inches above the chine.

the boat in the picture was overweight.....more than likely due to waterlogged foam.

where is the water line on you boat?

can you post pictures of the boat on a trailer.?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey guys...in the pics..dig the foam blocks used to support the hull when is it un slung....

waaayyyyy cool

Hrokor

Seaman

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpgNot sure if this is what you wanted to see, but here are pics on trailer.