replace mercruiser 5.0 alpha one with king cobra v8

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 1991 bayliner alpha one 5.0 that has cracked everything. And I also have an omc king cobra v8 1988 that is in good shape. Van I remove the mercruiser motor and replace it with the omc cobra. I will replace out drive and everything.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: replace mercruiser 5.0 alpha one with king cobra v8

You can use the OMC engine as a long block, just use all the accessories (distributor, wiring harness, manifolds, alternators, brackets, etc.) and everything will remain equal. Starter, and fuel pump should be the same. Carb could have linkage issues. Plus if you keep it all Merc but the long block, it makes it a lot easier to find parts for.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Why wouldn't he want to use the short block and keep everything mercruiser? Wouldn't the electronics/wiring harness/instrument wiring need to swapped as well if he used the long block?

Don S

The only difference between a long block and a short block is the long block has heads on it.

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the omc is a small block? I was hoping to just pull the cobra out and bolt it into the spot where mercruiser was ? I have read that those years are allmost compatible . Or am I way off base?

Don S

Or am I way off base?

Yes, you are.

All 5.0L chevies and 5.7L Chevies are small blocks. Big blocks were 7.4L then.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

@Don; whoops, brain fart. I misread your post I think. You meant to reuse everything from the OLD block, not the OMC.
@OP: Sorry to confuse everything. Short block is what Don said. Small block refers to the style of V8 that you have.

Bondo

Staff member

I think the omc is a small block? I was hoping to just pull the cobra out and bolt it into the spot where mercruiser was ? I have read that those years are allmost compatible . Or am I way off base?

Ayuh,.... Off Base,.... You ain't even in the same county that the ballpark is in.... :eek: :(

Many,... Many parts just can NOT be bought for a King Cobra,... OMC is Dead, 'n Gone....

You can buy any, or every single piece to yer Mercruiser...

Sell yer King Cobra to the other fools tryin' to keep 'em Runnin',...
They'll pay Good money for used Omc parts, 'cause ya Can't buy New...

Then buy whatever ya need to fix yer Mercruiser...

Augie56

Seaman

COuldn't agree more with the above comments. Steer clear of OMC (Oh, My Cash!)! Long gone and dead. I MADE SURE to not fall in love with any boats equipped with an OMC when I was shopping....

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that sucks! the omc runs great but the boat that it is in is shot. and the mericruiser is shot but the boat is in great shape . was hoping to swap engines . guess i will have to think of something else.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

that sucks! the omc runs great but the boat that it is in is shot. and the mericruiser is shot but the boat is in great shape . was hoping to swap engines . guess i will have to think of something else.

?
Use the OMC block only, ditch the rest of the OMC drivetrain.

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

If both blocks are chevy you can swap in the OMC engine, keeping the merc outdrive. You will have to keep the exhaust, maybe the carb and electronics from the mercruiser to put on the OMC engine.
Get rid of the OMC outdrive to finance your project.

But are both engines chevy?
5.0 can be a chevy 305 or a ford 302... if that's the case then NOTHING swaps over!

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds good i will take the mercruiser out AND USE OMC. UE WILL SEE HOW HARD THIS IS. WISH ME LUCK.