Grand Lake Oklahoma Boaters

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know iboats has some members from the Grand Lake area. I am fairly new to the area, just been here for about year. Wondering where are some of the good spots to hang out in the summer are? I know of Dripping Springs and Party Cove but that's about it. Good places to eat on the water? Any events through the summer that would be fun to attend?

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Grand Lake Oklahoma Boaters

What do you want to do and when do you boat? If you want to tie-up and watch people party and jump of the cliffs, then you have Dripping Springs and Party Cove. If you want to ski/tube while getting away from all of the big boats and open water chop, go to Horse Creek just north/west of the Bernice Bridge. The bridge clearance height is around 6 foot or so, which keeps out the cruisers with high bow rails and radar arches. Decent skiing nearby in the Cleora mud flats as well, but not protected from the big boats. Finally, you can go further north just past Sailboat bridge and find decent skiing water as well.

Patricia Island is a good spot to have a picnic on the shore with much lower traffic in the area than the South Grand Lake area. Really, any place north of the Shangri-La area really cuts down on the boat traffic as the big cruisers and offshore boats stick to the south due to the gas it takes to go so far north and the fact that none of their wealthy friends will see them in their $200K+ boat.

Honey Creek is a nice area as well to just take a cruise. There is a really good flip chart (with soundings) of the different areas of the lake, marinas, points of interest, and water hazards. I bought one in the Indian Hills restaurant/boat shop a few years back (great food/people BTW) and I'm sure they are available at boating stores/bait shops around the lake.

Finally, food. There are a number of decent restaurants with courtesy docks. There is Ozzie's just south of Shangri-La in West Bay on Monkey Island (not a true island, lol), and Anna's Bananas. As I mentioned, the Indian Hills restaurant on the protected side of the Bernice bridge has a great breakfast.

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking to do just about everything. I am up by the Elk River Bridge and we have found a good spot to ski/tube/wakeboard over by Blue Bluff, its been pretty calm over there most of the time.

I've thought about putting in around Honey Creek and heading up towards Patricia and Shangri-La just didn't know where the hot spots were. I will keep Ozzie's and Anna's Bananas in mind.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there are not any place to eat on the water on the North side of the lake by Elk River are there? Or any places like the Drip or Party Cover up there either?

haulnazz15

Captain

I'm sure there could be a few places to eat north of Patricia Island, but I'm not familiar with any offhand. There isn't much in the way of the Drip or Party Cove on the north side as there just isn't enough traffic to support it. The north side offers much better fishing in my experience though. Tera Miranda may have a restaurant over north of East Bay, and I think there is an Island Joe's Cantina at Shangri-La. Carey Bay is the area with decent skiing and wind breaks that we use for skiing when up on the north end. I have actually never been up that far north on the lake to get to the Elk River area, but I bet it's nice for skiing with narrow passage ways and sparse traffic. Quite a few snags up that way towards twin bridges though.

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

haulnazz15, what is going on around Memorial Day? Anything worth checking out?

haulnazz15

Captain

Well, I would imagine the usual Memorial Day kickoff stuff. I won't be there, but check out grand-chronical.com for the latest issue of that local paper. They will have a listing of every event around the lake for the next several weeks for sure.

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok great. I will check it out.

triscadek209

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Seems after two years of this post sitting we're the only ones from Grand Lake?

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Surely there are more just haven't made their appearance.

belleview3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There are a few of us around. . . Sorry guys, I missed the original posts in '12. I've been on Drowning Creek for over 40 years. LOVE THIS LAKE!!! This week is going to be crazy - Duck Creek and Monkey Island fireworks on the water, the Drip and Party Cove will be packed. Basically you can find a party in every cove in the southern half of the lake. I plan to visit as many as I can.

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey belleview, how was the Drip and Party Cove over the 4th? Ive never been down there over the 4th, can only imagine how crazy it gets. Im on the north part of the lake so we didn't make it down that far. We stayed between Cowskin Bridge and Wolf Creek.

belleview3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Didn't make it to Party Cove, but friends said it was packed. The drip was definitely insane. Too packed to get to the back. check out this video of the drip. ..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0bSLoBkAno
Duck Creek fireworks were the best yet. More than 2300 reported boats showed up. . . We were there some 4-5 hours rafted up! Great night.
How about you? Did you make it to Monkey Island fireworks on Saturday night?

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sweet video! We didn't make it to Monkey Island. Farthest we got was Wolf Creek fireworks. They were ok, first time we went out on the boat for fireworks so it was fun. I would hate to try and get out of duck creek after the fireworks were over with that many boats. Was it tough? Just in case we try to come down in the future.

triscadek209

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I went to duck creek also and last year as well. It's not too bad, similar to the movies, just wait until everyone else leaves and make a late exit.

belleview3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Like triscadek said, we waited for some 45 minutes to leave. All the idiots and fools took off quickly. It was still very choppy with all of the wakes at the mouth of the creek as boats powered up to get on plane, but manageable. Just plan to come early and stay late, its by far the best on the lake.
I know Duck Creek is a bit of a trip for you, but Monkey Island is a great show too and you can see it from Honey Creek and west side of Grove.

triscadek209

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Now I don't want to hear about any "trips"! Lol we start our from harbors view marina and boat up the the end of honey creek to go wakeboard. The journey is part of the fun!

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like fun. We might just have to try in the future. I just know my little 21 foot boat will get beat up lol. We have been to Woodard a few times and when we leave it feels like we are in the ocean with all the huge swells.