Idle Air Jet Question- 115 Crossflow

Traxion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a 95 115 Evinrude crossflow motor. Right before I purchased the boat it was tuned up. I have the receipts and one thing noted is the idle jets were changed (to be leaner). This work was done at a much higher altitude than I am at. The motor has idled OK but I have always felt that there was a lean cough at times. I've got a Seloc manual and it does not state the stock size or any info about the jets other than to take out and put back in.

I have not pulled the current jets so I can't confirm size (I know it would help, will do this weekend). Can anyone tell me the proper size based on altitude? I'm usually in that 1000-3000' range. Like I said I feel lean right now. And, being that we are metering air, to richen the mixture I assume I need to go to a smaller jet?

Any help is appreciated, I've been a little disappointed with the Seloc manual so far.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Idle Air Jet Question- 115 Crossflow

Go to shop2.evinrude.com and look up your motor's carb section. It will say what the stock idle air bleeders were. You are correct it is metering air so smaller is richer. You won't get much useful information about your motor from that Seloc, though. The aftermarket manuals are widely known to be useless. Go on ebay and find your original factory service manual for the motor and you won't believe you wasted even a moment with the Seloc. The Evinrude manual is model and year specific.

Traxion

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help. Stock jet is a #38. Is there anywhere that sells them other than the Evinrude site? And, what kind of a difference are we talking between jets. I'm used to dealing with Mikuni pilots and had a feel for what each size would do in increments of 5, but with these I have no idea.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know exactly how much difference 5 steps would make for yours but i had 36 36 33 i think a 39? that should have been 41s on my 140, and switching them for the 41s made it go from total fail idle to great idle. Step #1 is make it look like the picture, then if you decide to thin it out a little go from there. Google the part number and you'll come up with plenty of places slightly cheaper for the jets maybe even ebay.