Mounting kicker bracket..

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer
16' Starcraft PM160. The transom is designed where I cannot fit another smaller motor beside my main, so if I want a kicker, I have to go with a bracket. Any recommendations or thoughts here? Might be tough to get to with the decks built in the back of the boat.
Heres a couple pics:

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mounting kicker bracket..

I see lots of room there.

A simple flat plate bolted to the transom to level out the curved area will give you plenty of room. You may need a long shaft kicker though, it just depends on the exact (height) position of the plate.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

I see lots of room there.

A simple flat plate bolted to the transom to level out the curved area will give you plenty of room. You may need a long shaft kicker though, it just depends on the exact (height) position of the plate.

Interesting idea. Hmm. Something like a jack plate? Or even simpler?

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Well I'm getting ready to pull the trigger here. I got a 4HP Johnson tiller steer that I think I'm going to mount on an adjustable bracket. Any tips for exactly where to mount? I had another person recommend I just add to the cutout in the transom there and mount directly to that.. Not sure how I would pull that off though? All I would need is a few vertical inches on the port side there for the steering linkage to clear..

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

More pics.
IMG_0970.JPG

IMG_0972.JPG

IMG_0973.JPG

I'm just REallllly not wanting to drill holes and hang that bracket. Any other options for this long shaft 4HP kicker?

The kicker fits next to the main motor just fine but the main motors steering link runs into the transom mount on the kicker. I'd either need to raise the main motor 3 inches, or raise the whole kicker mount up above the travel of the steering link.. Up or Out.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

How do you plan to use the kicker? I ask that because you can mount it on the other side if you plan to use the tiller handle all the time. It actually works better on the other side.

I have different boats with the kickers on each side, the side you have pictured works well with some types of steering linkage that connects to the main motor. The other side works better if you plan to use the tiller, other types of linkage will work on either side.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Its funny, the same question was asked a month or so ago for a very smilar boat.

Your transom is too short for a bracket. In the up position the skeg will drag in the water. In the down position the motor will lug and have exhaust issues because the leg will be too low in the water.

Your transom is perfectly suited for direct mounting of the kicker. Wish mine was that easy. Buy a couple of pieces of oak and laminate a shim that is the thickness of the transom. Build a "step" on the curved part of the transom, with the top leveled off horizontal. Bolt her on and you're good to go.

If you use that bracket you won't be happy!

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

How do you plan to use the kicker? I ask that because you can mount it on the other side if you plan to use the tiller handle all the time. It actually works better on the other side.

I have different boats with the kickers on each side, the side you have pictured works well with some types of steering linkage that connects to the main motor. The other side works better if you plan to use the tiller, other types of linkage will work on either side.

Well I think I'm going to use the tiller for now. May go trollmaster and link steering to main at some point in the not so distant future. I think I would have to move my transducer if I were to install on starboard side. And if I understand right, while underway, there would be more turbulence on that side due to RH rotation of the prop. I'm willing to entertain the idea though.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Its funny, the same question was asked a month or so ago for a very smilar boat.

Your transom is too short for a bracket. In the up position the skeg will drag in the water. In the down position the motor will lug and have exhaust issues because the leg will be too low in the water.

Your transom is perfectly suited for direct mounting of the kicker. Wish mine was that easy. Buy a couple of pieces of oak and laminate a shim that is the thickness of the transom. Build a "step" on the curved part of the transom, with the top leveled off horizontal. Bolt her on and you're good to go.

If you use that bracket you won't be happy!

Can you explain a little more please? What holds the oak shim in place? Are you talking on the port side? Would you mind linking that thread?

I can't figure out how to get the kicker out of the way of the main motors steering linkage without raising it all the way off the transom onto an extension.

Found the thread..

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=557393&p=3852895#post3852895

It looks like I would have to use the extension used by the user George Salmon to clear my steering cables. Its basically what you are talking about I think and bolts to the transom then the motor just sits on that. If I could only just move the steering cable a bit on the starboard side.. Hmm

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Plywood or aluminum is better than Oak, The new plate is just bolted to the transom. You won't need to move the transducer, mine is mounted in the same location and my kicker is mounted directly to the transom above it with no issues.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Plywood or aluminum is better than Oak, The new plate is just bolted to the transom. You won't need to move the transducer, mine is mounted in the same location and my kicker is mounted directly to the transom above it with no issues.

You sure? Even with one of the fancy schmancy side imaging units? Hmm. Any recommendations on which plate to use? 4 bolts through transom? Big washers on the inside of transom or something more? I'll probably end up redoing this transom before long as there is a bit of rot in the middle where gas from motor ate the paint can caulking in the splashwell. But 4200 on the bolts going through and on each side? 5200?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The kicker is behind the transducers and in forward gear the disturbance is all behind them. This depends on the angle of the transom too.

Worst case you move the transducer to the other side, it's a quick and easy fix.

I have an aluminum plate with ?” plywood on each side mounted on the outside with 4 bolts.

You can also use an aluminum plate on each side of the transom and then put a plywood spacer between them to fill the gap.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

The kicker is behind the transducers and in forward gear the disturbance is all behind them. This depends on the angle of the transom too.

Worst case you move the transducer to the other side, it's a quick and easy fix.

I have an aluminum plate with ?” plywood on each side mounted on the outside with 4 bolts.

You can also use an aluminum plate on each side of the transom and then put a plywood spacer between them to fill the gap.

Sounds nice and simple. Thickness of the aluminum? Where should I be looking as far as putting this together? A fabricator? Aftermarket? We're talking even simpler than a jack plate.. Which usually gives you some setback as well. Where did you buy your materials?

bgc

Ensign

MassillonBuckeye,
Here is a sketch of the idea for the mount that would slide over the top of the transom. If you do go the route of drilling and need some 5200, I have and open tube of slow cure (PM me).

And again the picture is turned to the right:mad:

TransomMount.jpg

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Ahh I see now. You mean to fabricate that whole thing to just slide over the transom. Hmm, that could work.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

This is not an outboard topic but an engine mount topic Moving to restoration.