Magna power 2

jkp13

Recruit
I am looking into buy an older 55hp Chrysler outboard and I was doing some online research and noticed everyone saying that the Magna-power II ignition system was a failure and there is no way to fix it anymore because the outboard is outdated. Is this true, and if so how do I tell if the outboard in question has a magna-power II ignition system. The motor i am lookin at is an hour plus away so I am not able to go out and look at the engine. Thanks so much.

p.s. i know enough about outboards to know where the major parts are (i.e. flywheel, carb(s), spark plugs/pistons) but i am not firmiliar with these older chrysler outboards.

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Magna power 2

they are old motors and some parts can be hard/expensive to find,
basic motor, any dill ( hello ) can work on them,
ignition bits are the biggest problem with them ( imho ) with corrosion in water passages a problem also but that applies to all older donks,
don't pay too much,

all Magnapower 11 have all the ignition bits....apart from the coils..under the flywheel,
there is no distributor/rectifier bits bolted to the side of the motor like on the other ignition systems,

l didn't like them years ago, but never actually owned one till 2-3 yrs ago,
l wuz wrong,
now have four Chryslers ( one magnapower 11, would have another, all things being blah blah )
son has a 120 mpower 11 that had trigger issue, now goes like a cut cat!

do as many tests.. compression, electrical, fuel etc.. on the donk as you can though

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If you don't mind hunting parts don't let it scare you. Yes, they were failure prone and yes the factory did offer a retro-fit kit.

Because Magna Power II pre-dated Prestolite ignition, the original retro-fit was to the Motorola distributor ignition. However, the Prestolite ignition system will fit with less (perhaps none) modifications. If I owned a Mag--II engine that had ignition failure I would retro- fit to Prestolite.

Like Chrome said: All ignition parts are under the flywheel except for coils and the coils were usually mounted on the head. Some early 55s had a cast cover over the coils.

63Sport16

Seaman Apprentice

I would ask what model number that motor was and then look it up and see if it had the MagnaPower II C.D. system. It appears from my manuals that ignition system wasn't used until 1977.

Nordin

Commander

The MagII was on 60, 105 and 120Hp in 1974-76. 1977 the 60Hp became 55Hp and there were also a 65Hp with a larger gearhouse similar to the 3-4cyl. engines. 55 and 60Hp had the house similar to the 35-55Hp singelcarb engines. The powerhead was equal 55-65Hp. In 1978 during warrenty hrysler delivered a retrofit kit the Prestolite typ.
The weak part is the CD module and it is disconntinued at CDI electronics and so is the Alternator to. Triggers are still R/R parts and ign.coils are still avalible.
The 55-65Hp engines are good working machines with alot of torque. I have one 1977 55Hp and one 1977 65Hp.

rlouis5

Cadet

Frank ..I greatly respect your knowledge of the older Chrysler motors . I saw this reply on the Magnapower II igniton and it seems like you are telling me that the motorla ignition will work in place of this one??? I have a 105 hp parts motor with good ignition and a 135 motor with the Magnapower II system ...Can I just exchange the ignition parts??
thank you
Robert

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Old post and you really should have started another BUT---Since both are 4 cylinder engines, if the 105 is Prestolite then the ignition shouls swap with no modifications. If the 105 is distributor, then you will need to do some small mods to accomodate the distributor and stator.