Anybody ever paid to jump to the front of the service line?

Having engine problems and had to take it in to get looked at. First place I called said 2 weeks before they can look at it. 2nd place says c'mon in.. then when I get there I find out it's a couple week wait too. I'm wondering if I can't pony up some cash to get put up front.. anybody ever done that? Anyone think it will work? Wondering what a good number would be. It's a 250hp merc so I'm guessing they gonna try and milk me if they do play ball.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Anybody ever paid to jump to the front of the service line?

I've got some problems with that method. If it works, it means 1. That shop has some integrity issues. Don't think I'd want to deal with them, and 2. Some other poor slob gets to wait unless he ponies up some cash, too... and puts you back in line (where you belong).

Is this really the way you want to do business?

I hear ya, but it seems all kinds of businesses are doing it now. Theme parks have jump the line. Airports let the people who pay more jump the line (first class, business class). Why not a service line that has a 2 week wait. I bought the boat used from a private party and I'm betting someone who bought a boat from them will be pushed in front of me if need be. It's in their best interest to take care of their good customers.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Businesses that provide enhanced service for a higher price do so as a matter of advertised policy- not under the table. And yes, any mechanic will take care of his steady customers first. Adults expect that to be the case.

You're talking about paying money on the sly to somebody who's willing to screw his other customers for a price. If you really think that's okay, then you and that shop deserve each other.

My .02

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you wont find that happening at any reputable shop

How about if I asked if I could pay a mechanic overtime? So instead of him going home at 6 as usual he stays to do my boat. I'm really not jumping the line in front of anybody, because no one will have to wait any longer. He will just be putting in some extra work when he normally would have been at home. Does that sound unethical?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

very unlikely....

you have 2 options......find a good mobile mech....search references.

read here....post here.....and be on the water this weekend.

what is the problem you are dealing with bud?

(there are many, many many factory trained mechanics on this forum.....)

Well I did post here (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=548618&highlight=2010+250). I can tell I shouldn't be messing with the engine when I open it up. (I'm no mechanic.) I had a hard enough time changing the plugs out hoping maybe it was a fouled plug. The engine is also under warranty so I'm guessing if it's something that's covered.. a certified mechanic would have to do the work.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

In the real world, people get moved up the line all the time. They don't talk about it.

Have seen it. Yes, sometimes to others' inconvenience. Yes, prominent members of the community, and the rich will get preferential treatment.

Have done it. Its called customer service. Or putting up with the short deadline in order to get the revenue, and keep the customer.

And I've been moved up. I lost a windshield the afternoon before leaving on vacation, new windshield was delivered at 4am, my truck was ready to go by 6 am. Yes, they came in 2 hours early, at 5 am to put it in my truck. An extra $50 in that man's shirt pocket, and I was 600 miles away by nightfall.

You want to talk about honest and ethical shops, then lets talk about the ones that say they will get to your boat in 8 days, but in reality, they know they won't even touch it for 3 to 4 weeks.

To make matters worse, they make you leave the boat sit there for a month, when you could have been using it, and drop it off when they are ready for it.

tpenfield

Staff member

Having engine problems and had to take it in to get looked at. First place I called said 2 weeks before they can look at it. 2nd place says c'mon in.. then when I get there I find out it's a couple week wait too. I'm wondering if I can't pony up some cash to get put up front.. anybody ever done that? Anyone think it will work? Wondering what a good number would be. It's a 250hp merc so I'm guessing they gonna try and milk me if they do play ball.

How do you know that you were at the 'end' of the line . . . you might have been 'first' :eek: . . . that 2 week waiting period to get stuff looked at is one of the motivators for me to have learned to DIY.

Also, there might be another line to get things fixed :D

choppywaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its frustrating to say the least. With the very mild winter we had I thought these boat dealers would have been open months ago. I heard the "two week" thing too from the first place that was open....I'm still waiting. I like the idea of paying a mechanic's over time but this time of year he probably already is. I took it to another shop that finally opened and he got me right in a few weeks ago but it was supposed to be a "look over" that turned into a week long repair.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Its frustrating to say the least. With the very mild winter we had I thought these boat dealers would have been open months ago. I heard the "two week" thing too from the first place that was open....

Your shops close up? At least up here, every boat repair place is open year round, but they also have a major business doing ATV's, snowmobiles, etc... That doesn't change the problem though. Most people wait until the first time they want to use the boat before remembering they put it away broken last fall. Could have had it worked on all winter, but the first nice weekend of summer seems like a better idea.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Businesses that provide enhanced service for a higher price do so as a matter of advertised policy- not under the table. And yes, any mechanic will take care of his steady customers first. Adults expect that to be the case.

You're talking about paying money on the sly to somebody who's willing to screw his other customers for a price. If you really think that's okay, then you and that shop deserve each other.

My .02

Get real. You’re fooling yourself if you don’t think money talks and cash get moved to the front of the line. It happens everywhere from the hot dog vendor on the corner to the Fortune 500.

BTW: You don’t have to be rich to be connected. You just have to get out there and make the effort to get connected.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Get real. You’re fooling yourself if you don’t think money talks and cash get moved to the front of the line. It happens everywhere from the hot dog vendor on the corner to the Fortune 500.

BTW: You don’t have to be rich to be connected. You just have to get out there and make the effort to get connected.

Never said money can't get you what you want. I'm 58, fer chrissake. BUT, I do happen to know some honest tradesmen who play fair with their customers. They're the ones I do business with, 'cause they're the ones I can trust. And they can trust me.

Maclin

Admiral

If the shop you go to is part of a Dealership that also sells boats then the customers who bought boats there will get priority. Many times what the "standard" 2 weeks is about is to allow for buyers that come back in for warranty or other work with no appointments.