No spark coming out of coil 3.0 Mercrusier - bad coil?

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 3.0 Merc - no spark - battery has been checked and is fine. I have voltage to the coil but no juice coming out of the coil. When I crank the starter I am getting 9.8 volts at the terminal of the coil to ground. Battery is 12.8.

Can the coil be bad? No moving parts but then again solenoids are sealed too and they need replacing:facepalm:

Coil probably 20 years old and has mild surface corrosion. I did check the Ohm - 3 across the terminals and 10k across the ground - which should be normal....

Thanks electricians!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: No spark coming out of coil 3.0 Mercrusier - bad coil?

Probably needs a common tuneup. New points, condenser etc. Points tend to glaze over an corrode over winter storage and won't make contact electrically because of the glazing. You can usually sand them and get spark to verify the problem, but you still have to replace them.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Probably needs a common tuneup. New points, condenser etc. Points tend to glaze over an corrode over winter storage and won't make contact electrically because of the glazing. You can usually sand them and get spark to verify the problem, but you still have to replace them.

I did order new points/plugs etc....but I am not even getting the charge from the coil to the distributor cap....

Don - u are quick!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

but I am not even getting the charge from the coil to the distributor cap....

You won't if the points don't contact electrically to open and close the circuit.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

You won't if the points don't contact electrically to open and close the circuit.

You're right - I am an idiot - try new points tomorrow!!