Bayliner 185 4,3 Mpi plane problem

Simonsson

Recruit
Hi everyone!

I got a Bayliner 2011 4,3 mpi.
But i have a hard time to get it on plane right, its ok when im alone in the boat or with a mate.
Pulling up say a wakeboarder up from start its almost impossible.
Or if igot a buddy or two sitting in the rear or one on the sunbed.

I dont got a lot experience from boats but i think it should hole shot a lot faster then it does.
Got no idea what prop is on the boat atm.

Anyone has the same boat as mine and can tell if its the standard prop that is useless, or if its some other factory fault with who knows what?

excuse me for my bad language, im from Sweden and not many Bayliner owners there with a 185 who could help me so now im turning to you.
/Simon

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Bayliner 185 4,3 Mpi plane problem

Welcome to iBoats . . No worries about the language, there is a lot worse seen here from some who primarily speak English.

That engine should be plenty for that boat. So, make sure you have the outdrive (leg) properly in the down position. If that checks out, then start going through the basics on he engine. . . Ignition timing, fuel flow, etc.

Is the engine finally reaching its specified RPM, even though it is slow to get there?

Post more info as you get it. . . Help will be along.

Simonsson

Recruit

Welcome to iBoats . . No worries about the language, there is a lot worse seen here from some who primarily speak English.

That engine should be plenty for that boat. So, make sure you have the outdrive (leg) properly in the down position. If that checks out, then start going through the basics on he engine. . . Ignition timing, fuel flow, etc.

Is the engine finally reaching its specified RPM, even though it is slow to get there?

Post more info as you get it. . . Help will be along.

Thank you.

Im not sure what the rpm is when its about to plane but its not reving out, its more like plowing through the water at the same rpm and eventualy when either someone goes to the front of the boat or plane on its own after a really long time the engine revs out, but when its up on plane it runs really well and the top speed is about 50-55 depending on the weather/waves)

Im not that good on that part with the ignition timing or fuel flow.
I would like to know if its a mechanical problem or prop related.
If its mechanical then i have to get the dealer to fix it for me, i show them the problem but all they did was empty the water in the "Double shell"? and said it was better, but it wasn't =(

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We need the prop size(usually under the prop nut),wide open throttle rpm and gps speed to tell anything about your setup.
From your description it sounds like your propped for speed and generally speed and hole shot don't go together.